What's new
What's new

coolant mixing - help with mundane question

bryan_machine

Diamond
(This is the sort of question you get when you understand theory from books and computers from a career there, but have never worked with anyone else in a shop.)

So, it is time to mix some coolant for my DMG. I am told Oil goes in Last. OK. Also, it's kind of hard to get it mixed.

If I put 60 gallons of water into the open tank, add 4 gallons of concentrate, and then stir it for a while with a drill powered paint mixer device, should I expect to get a good coolant charge?
(Is that easy? Or is there some mystery process I need to follow?)

The tank (sump) is brand new, and I think I can arrange for it to be nearly empty.

I plan to put a two hose aerator in it when that comes early next week.

thx
bmw

(This is the sort of question you get when you understand theory from books and computers from a career there, but have never worked with anyone else in a shop.)

So, it is time to mix some coolant for my DMG. I am told Oil goes in Last. OK. Also, it's kind of hard to get it mixed.

If I put 60 gallons of water into the open tank, add 4 gallons of concentrate, and then stir it for a while with a drill powered paint mixer device, should I expect to get a good coolant charge?

The tank (sump) is brand new, and I think I can arrange for it to be nearly empty.

thx
bmw

thx
bmw

I'm not sure of your setup and which coolant you will use but I would try to mix the concentrate with some water before I dumped it in. Even if you mixed the concentrate 1:1 with water before you poured it into the remaining ~56 gals of water, it would significantly help with the mixing process. This helps when the concentrate is heavier than water as it just wants to sink to the bottom of the tank. Then you have to have a bottom/sump pump to get it circulating.

Realistically, the soluable oil I've used mixes quite well with water. Running/circulating the coolant system for an hour or so before machining mixes it quite well regardless of the method of addition.

I'm not sure of your setup and which coolant you will use but I would try to mix the concentrate with some water before I dumped it in. Even if you mixed the concentrate 1:1 with water before you poured it into the remaining ~56 gals of water, it would significantly help with the mixing process. This helps when the concentrate is heavier than water as it just wants to sink to the bottom of the tank. Then you have to have a bottom/sump pump to get it circulating.

Realistically, the soluable oil I've used mixes quite well with water. Running/circulating the coolant system for an hour or so before machining mixes it quite well regardless of the method of addition.

A big paddle wheel sheet rock mud mixer on my hole hawg works well. The thing has a four foot shaft so I can really swing it around.

A big paddle wheel sheet rock mud mixer on my hole hawg works well. The thing has a four foot shaft so I can really swing it around.

From an afternoon talking to the Blaser sales rep. One of the most important things with a soluble is how you mix it. He had slides and all kinds of good stuff showing what was happening on the molecular level.

Obviously you are making an emulsion, you can either make the emulsion that you want or if you are incorrectly mixing (water to oil) you can end up with a reverse emulsion, the molecules align backwards from what you want and have different heat distribution properties that you do not want.
Its a mayonaise vs salad dressing type thing. I'm not an expert, but what he was saying made sense.

I wouldn't add water to your sump and then dump in the oil. Start with a 5 gallon bucket with water and then drizzle in your coolant while agitating the water vigorously. You should get a good mix. Rinse and repeat, you could probably mix up 4 buckets of high concentration and dilute.

If its hard to mix, you have a problem, Just for fun back in the day I took about 2 inches in the bottom of a bucket of soluble and added an inch of water. I ended up with clumps of custard. I thnk that is the emulsion that you don't want.

From an afternoon talking to the Blaser sales rep. One of the most important things with a soluble is how you mix it. He had slides and all kinds of good stuff showing what was happening on the molecular level.

Obviously you are making an emulsion, you can either make the emulsion that you want or if you are incorrectly mixing (water to oil) you can end up with a reverse emulsion, the molecules align backwards from what you want and have different heat distribution properties that you do not want.
Its a mayonaise vs salad dressing type thing. I'm not an expert, but what he was saying made sense.

I wouldn't add water to your sump and then dump in the oil. Start with a 5 gallon bucket with water and then drizzle in your coolant while agitating the water vigorously. You should get a good mix. Rinse and repeat, you could probably mix up 4 buckets of high concentration and dilute.

If its hard to mix, you have a problem, Just for fun back in the day I took about 2 inches in the bottom of a bucket of soluble and added an inch of water. I ended up with clumps of custard. I thnk that is the emulsion that you don't want.

Back