What's new
What's new

Coolant

kuraki556

Cast Iron
I know there are other threads. I've searched and read many of them. Mainly I'm looking for what people are using right now, and whether they're happy with it's performance.

We used Blasocut for a number of years. All of my machinists hated it because when the water evaporated, it would become a slimy, sticky mess on tools, machines, and parts. A year and a half ago, I began testing Schaeffer's 0511 semi-synthetic coolant in one of our VMCs. I ran it in that VMC for 6 months as a trial. I could not see any measurable difference in tool life. The machinists loved working with it compared to the Blaser, because it blew off parts easily, did not stick or leave residue in the machine, on the tools, etc. They even commented about how they liked not bringing the coolant home with them, as the Blaser seemed to not wash off their hands very well. I could relate to that, when I was on the floor, I couldn't stand how it would stick to my clothes in a film, get in my vehicle, my house.

So, with no negative effects from the coolant, and with increased job satisfaction from the people working with it, I went ahead and switched all of our machines over to the 0511. My first mistake was that my 6 month trial was November to March. The 6 coolest months of the year. June rolled around and this coolant did a 180 degree shift. Bacteria bloomed, like I'd never seen before. Sticky globs of biofilm that resembled fungus or mold. Drains and filters were clogged. Rotary unions clogged and burned up. At one point, it even caused a machine crash because the casting that the Z drive nested in acted as a bowl and caught errant coolant that it could not drain due to plugged drain holes. The drive was flooded while in operation, lost it's place and slammed the (brand new!) spindle into the work.

I've tried conditioners, biocides, pH tablets, aeration, and I cannot keep this coolant from degrading at a rate that makes it prohibitively expensive (replacing at 2x the rate of the Blaser), or disgusting to work with (smell, globs, growth.)

Concentration levels are checked daily and tracked. Where we used to have no inclination towards a cutting fluid management program, we are trying to develop and implement one now. Lab results do not show appreciable levels of tramp oil in many machines, but always without fail show a bloom in bacteria in a short period of time.

Is there a truly biostable semi-synthetic out there? Our machines to not sit idle very often or for very long. We run our operations 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, although not all of our machines are staffed at that extent. One of our machines is a Quickmill 180, which sits idle more often than anything, and it has the least problems of any of the machines. I can deduce that is for 2 reasons, 1 being the nature of the machine (large, open bed vertical gantry) means that when it is operated, the coolant is exposed to air more than any other machine in our shop, and 2, linear guide ways outside of chip/coolant collection mean very, very little oil makes it to the coolant sump.

But I need to make a change, or implement a solution to this problem. The guys don't like working with it, maintenance is all over me about clogged screens and filters, and frankly I feel like crap because even though I thought I did due diligence with testing, and evaluating, and I sought the opinion of the guys using it daily, it was ultimately my decision to switch.

I will not go back to the Blaser soluble oil. We have in the last year changed from tooling at each machine to a central tool setting system, all of our tools are now set up and broke down by job, and having to clean that sticky mess would either take too much time, or more likely, not get done, resulting in a mess of epic proportions in that area.

I'm open to any suggestions. I will be testing a Perkins Perkool formulation in the near future. I'm willing to test more than one fluid at a time. This time I will test through the summer months (fool me once.)

Thanks.

How many machines? What amount of turnover? How big are your sumps?

We machine low to mid carbon steel, mostly hotrolled, some blasted prior, almost exclusively. We turned 5 totes of coolant last year. Our largest sump is 400 gallons, and most of our sumps are around 100 gallons.

Do you do anything for water? I know our water is around 40 grains, and I'm researching water treatment, Culligan can get us to 10 grain for $40 a month with a $140 recharge every 5000 gallons.

We've been using Castrol MB-50 for some time. It is the first time that I've met the claim that tool life has actually increased. I'm sure its not the cheapest, but sump life and dragout is good. We cut all most exclusively steels across the spectrum.

I used Cimcool and thought it did well, great sump life and all, just not much lubricity.

I've used Trim-Sol and loved it. Zurn works ok too but I think the Trim-Sol is best. Great sump life even in hot humid weather, great lubricity, machine friendly and won't go home with you.

Nice thing, is Trim-Sol is available from MSC and many other large houses so you're not dependent on a distributor for it.

When you guys say "works for us" what does that mean? Everything I've put in a machine in my life has worked. Even when I was working in a cave and spraying WD40 on an HSS drill in aluminum, it "worked."

Do you mean you don't have smell, biogrowth, etc? I could care less about 1% changes in tool life, considering our work we break tools often enough that I'd never realize that gain.

I just need something stable.

Valcool VP800 for "us" means we mix it, dump it in and don't think about it till it needs more.....manual lathes need refilled once a month from daily use, the VMC and CNC lathe is more like every 6 months...doesnt ever smell or mold, doesn't stick to parts or machine/tooling, and washes off hands with soap and water.....haven't seen any issues with rust accept on the manual mills when they sit with a part in them over the weekend, there will be brown colors on my parrellels that are cheap china crap anyway.....not ever any actual surface rust though.....

We run it in the bandsaw and grinders too

Even if you only have manual machines, I just filled up a tank of trim sol for my knee mill CNC a month ago and I think it's great stuff. I use one of these bottles to cool off and lubricate parts while drilling on the lathe or the manual knee mill as well, what a difference in drilling mild steel i could not believe how much easier the bit cut that metal, fantastic.

With one of these you can drip over cutoff blades and hit little holes while drilling without a drip pan or sump because it sprays such a fine stream.

Nalgene® FEP Wash Bottles made with Teflon®* Resin | U.S. Plastic Corp.

The thought crossed my mind as well, why not put a refrigeration coil in the sump tank for the summer to keep the stuff from getting nasty.

A question that I don't see asked or answered very well OR often: If your dilution/concentration is a little too HIGH (too much coolant and not enough water), what is the SERIOUS down side? Other than costing more money than necessary?
We all know the problems that can come from running practically straight water! Not only rust, but bacteria, fungus, low tool life, etc...

Jeff

Last edited:
Plus 1 on what jdj said above,if the concentration is not right none of the coolant products will perform correctly,but after rereading your post I can't see that it's not the problem most likly in your case.

We use Trim semi synthetic and have had really good luck with it.It will sour in a manual machine that doesn't get used often and leaks oil into it,but I believe that will happen to any product out there.

When we get a new batch of coolant (55gallon drum) I do not assume it will be at the correct refractometer reading as it was from the last drum,even though I have checked it on 4 new drums of coolant over the years I haven't had to change anything but I still check it any way.

Another trick you might wanna consider is purchasing small fish tank air pumps that will keep oxygen in the coolant running 24/7,bacteria hates that and can't grow as well if at all.

What did the chemists at Schaeffer offer as a solution?

First, to use their additive/conditioner. Which we did, to their specifications, with no measurable effect.

After that point, I attempted to have another sample analyzed by their lab, but after months of asking the sales rep what the results were, I sent them to another lab myself.

My chief complaint with Schaeffer is the sales rep insulates me from the people who might actually be able to help me with my problems.

I've been in the trade, in enough shops, and used enough fluids, to have the general opinion that every fluid will develop a problem of some kind, eventually. It may be the fault of the end user, or the program, or any number of variables, but eventually something less than desirable happens. When that happens with a machine tool, Haas, or Toyoda, or whoever, is in my shop, working to solve the problem. If I have a problem with a cutting tool, Walters or whoever is in my shop, working to solve the problem or provide a solution.

That's the kind of thing I expect from a vendor/distributor.

With Schaeffer, this guy shows up every week and repeats over and over "buy this coelescer from me" - but the lab shows low tramp levels. "Buy more conditioner from me" It didn't work at any of the recommended concentrations. "Oh, well, you should put magnets in the filters, we have those too." Seriously? You want to talk about removing fines when I have fist sized globs of snot floating in my sumps after 1 month of use?

I'm tired of beating my head against that brick wall.

THE biggest thing to get better tool life is consistency in coolant concentration. Period.

If it is consistently too LOW, will that give you better tool life? That is, compared to being somewhat inconsistent, but on the HIGH/RICH side. That doesn't seem logical.

Jeff

Last edited:
First, to use their additive/conditioner.

First rule of coolant purchasing.... If they sell any products that stop it from stinking, stop it from clumping or any other thing. DO NOT BUY IT !!!!!!

Are they in the business of selling a coolant or are they in the business of selling additives and conditioners?

Looking at their website, it appears they just want to sell oil type stuff, they aren't a metal working company or a coolant specific company.

best on AL

We've been using Castrol MB-50 for some time. It is the first time that I've met the claim that tool life has actually increased. I'm sure its not the cheapest, but sump life and dragout is good. We cut all most exclusively steels across the spectrum.

jimfnd is right on. The Castrol MB-50 is designed for aluminum and has excellent sump life in the summer days. call me if you need some to try 517-937-4061

Back