What's new
What's new

Cutting angle CCGT

tcncj

Cast Iron
Hi

Anyone knows the angle of the cutting edge of a CCGT inserts?
I mean the angle on the sides.
The cutting edge is 80 degrees if I'm correct. But I'm searching for the side angle

I mean this angle :)

jb5J1MH.jpg

It’s 100 degrees of math still work.

360 degrees total minus the 2 80 degree corners leaves us with 200 degrees. Divide that by 2 and that gives you your angle.

I'm still lost, guys.

Not sure if the OP can't do math, didn't open my link showing how insert nomenclature works, or is just being stubborn.

Maybe he needs a twig and banana....;)

There is usually 5 degrees relief on the side and 5 on the front but it depends on the holder. Some holders have no relief on the side and 10 on the front, there may be other variations as well.

Well, they do when they're negative rake. I have made several face mills and flycutters to utilize the obtuse corner of used inserts. Very good for finishing.
Um, I think I said most.
CNMG milling cutters on the off corner not real big sellers.
Things wrong and free edge cost right, more a B-port type thing.
For sure workable but I'd bet I have only made 300-500 of these bodies in 3 to 5 tooth over the years. All of these sold under different brand names.
Not the norm, not the best cutter but which CNMG/CNGP you put in makes a difference and I do use one.
The same can be done on a lathe tool and CCGT, have built a few of those.
People want to use that corner on a C and for sure it works and makes chips.

Still Op question up in the air and if in raked 3x3, 5x5 or 7x7 holder the 80 and the 100 no longer valid. This only works in the flat world.
Add a hook or a rake to the pocket, things get twisted and the angles move.
Grind a 60 degree threader dead on and then put a 10 degree hook or cb in it....oops, 2500 carbide top notch tools scrap... This day is not going well..:wall:

Do not know what the OP is after, add bullshit that may or may not have any meaning to the thread because that is what I tend to do.
Bob

Back