What's new
What's new

Diamond impregnated sharpener (hone, ?).

gcodeguy

Hot Rolled
Searched web, but can't find what I am looking for. We have a couple diamond coated hones (for lack of a better word). They are 6 inches long, 1/4 inch wide by 1/8 inch thick, and are either steel or a 400 series stainless (magnet sticks and no rust after umpteen years of use). Diamond is impregnated on the 1/4 wide surface for a length of 1.5 inches. I use it to stone radii on solid carbide boring bars and groove bars from such companies as Micro 100 and Internal Tools. Also to stone radii on trepan tools. One I have has become rather worn over the years...especially along one corner where I put radial clearance on seating tools (corner edge now has a nice radius on it :( ).

Our purchasing agent says they are no longer made. I hope that statement is not true. I do not want the stone ones. They are a piece of crap for what I need them for. Hopefully someone knows where to find these wonderful tools. :) Thanks.

Look at your local GOOD hardware store. I just bought two new stones for die work "Elliots hardware" (What a hardware store. stuff by the pound, that great smell of fertilizer oil and paint, but I digress.) and they stocked the diamond ones also. Almost got one but there a little pricey if you don;t really need em' "bout 45 bucks as I member.

Mine came from 3M - they are about 0.75" x 1.5", and are mounted on a handle that looks like a heavy duty toothbrush. Check with the 3M Abrasives division

At Elliot's they had probably 4 sizes. From small ones with handles to a large one maybe 2"x8" and an inch thick. They have a web site but not one you can look things up on, just store info. Give 'em a call. They could give you the brand name.

Take a look at the Eze-Lap diamond files, see if they suit your needs.

I have used the medium and fine ones a lot for honing radii on tools, and doing butchery on chipped corners.

Unlike the DMT tools, they do not have little bits of plastic backing through the surface to catch the tool on.

About $10 or so each.

Cheers
Trev

Back