What's new
What's new

DSG For Sale

Looks like it’s missing the lead screw 😱
Don't think DSG actually ever fitted the lead screw to that one, see the lack of threading info in the window, feeds only. You could fit a leadscrew if you could find one (and the rest of the parts needed, it hasn't got the half nut lever or a threading dial either)

Also looks like maybe there was a tracer attachment on the back side of the cross slide that appears missing
Definitely had a tracer on there at one point, the big advantage is it gets the full length cross slide because of that.

Also has the 6 position feed stop and is a belt high range headstock and a Taylor 3 jaw chuck.

But no single point threading, really limits the market for it.

Don't think DSG actually ever fitted the lead screw to that one, see the lack of threading info in the window, feeds only. You could fit a leadscrew if you could find one (and the rest of the parts needed, it hasn't got the half nut lever or a threading dial either)

Definitely had a tracer on there at one point, the big advantage is it gets the full length cross slide because of that.

Also has the 6 position feed stop and is a belt high range headstock and a Taylor 3 jaw chuck.

But no single point threading, really limits the market for it.
Good catch on the feeds. Odd duck for sure…might go for a song. Even for shipping it could be a can of worms depending on how much kit was omitted internally.

Good catch on the feeds. Odd duck for sure…might go for a song. Even for shipping it could be a can of worms depending on how much kit was omitted internally.
You would need a machine to break to put threading on that one, wouldn't be worth it. It's serial number puts it as an early 60's machine.

I'm in the UK but I just sold my 1957 13 by 42 for £1,200 and bought a much better 1972 1307 by 40 for £3,000, but bigger than hobbyist sized smaller manual lathes are basically worthless here.
The larger swing and long bed machines go for a bit more.

You would need a machine to break to put threading on that one, wouldn't be worth it. It's serial number puts it as an early 60's machine.

I'm in the UK but I just sold my 1957 13 by 42 for £1,200 and bought a much better 1972 1307 by 40 for £3,000, but bigger than hobbyist sized smaller manual lathes are basically worthless here.
The larger swing and long bed machines go for a bit more.
I have a 17t I’ve grown rather fond of and would like to have a little brother to go with it at some point. Not too many DSG’s here in the states though.

I have a 17t I’ve grown rather fond of and would like to have a little brother to go with it at some point. Not too many DSG’s here in the states though.
I would quite like a 17T but I don't have the room for another machine and I'm not sure I could get one in my workshop anyway, I had to take the door and one of the stops off to get the 1307 to go in.

They aren't that common in the UK either now, a lot of our better machinery has been exported.

That one in the advert would make a great second op machine if you had the need for low volume manual production (which is practically nobody nowadays).

Personally I would always choose the longer bed versions of the 13, they are so big anyway for such a small swing that it doesn't feel like it's such a space consumer when you get 40" or 42" between centres, though I'm aware space constraints are normally much less of a concern in the USA.

They did the 1307's in 30", 40" and 50" between centres, the latter being very rare, but the 13-1's only in 30" or 42"
My 1307 by 40" from the face of my 3 jaw to the nose of the tailstock with it fully on the bed measures 45", so they are a little conservative with the dimensions.

Oh and the coolant tank in the base casting on those 13-1's is absolutely tiny, barely more than a gallon, you can run in empty easily before it finds its way back.

Back