What's new
What's new

Elliott Rotary Table disassembly

tomkenned

Plastic
Hello All,
I have an old very rusty Elliott Rotary table needing a rebuild. Does anyone have some experience or manual to speed the disassembly of it. There are going to be some screws somewhere hidden under rust that allude me so if anyone has pointers that would be great.
Thanks
Tom

Hi Tom
I've just overhauled a 1950s/1960s Hoffman 12 inch table and it was an easy enough job to do. I would be as bold as to suggest, the Elliott would be the same. Just take your time and don't force anything. Better to leave a stubborn problem overnight and think about it rather than damage anything. This equipment was state of the art back in the day and is still capable of doing good, accurate work 60 years later. Àtfer a good clean up and replacing the bearings, I skimmed the top face and it does great work once again.

Hello Maachi,
Thanks for your help which I have followed. Just when it looked like nothing will shift and I am fearing that some forgotten technique and superhero force was used to press it together I would find something would give.
Although locked tight and surface rusted the actual wear on this seems minimal. Just a couple of new control levers to make. I have attached a few photos of the internals which may interest someone. Now back lathe.
Thanks
Tom

Attachments

• Eccentric barrel.JPG
    Eccentric barrel.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 17
  • sprung_pin.JPG
    sprung_pin.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 16
  • wormdrive.JPG
    wormdrive.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 17
I think I have a 12” Elliot rotary in the shop, I’ll have a look but from memory the locking is a ring nut underneath , I don’t remember any Allen screws in the top face so it’s got to be behind or around the edge, access plug perhaps?.
I’ll drag it out later ( it’s rather heavy!)
Wonder if the table is threaded on LH job perhaps?
I was told the backlash could be adjusted so there must be acess.
Mark

Elliot stuff is / was pretty much the Ford / GM / Chrysler of the machine tool world, as in it isn't Swiss quality, but it wasn't Swiss prices either.

Most of what I've used I've liked.

Last edited:

Back