What's new
What's new

Excello 602 belt replacement

Mstarkey3

Plastic
Hi

This is my first post, I’ve been reading about machining here for some time and have gotten a lot of help from all the threads on this forum. I just bought an Excello 602 at an auction, this was to replace my Dayton round column mill( Ring Fu 31 knockoff).

I did find that there is very little and often conflicting information on the Excello mills, so I figured I would share some of the things I’m doing to repair the 602 I picked up a few weeks ago.
I feel I got pretty lucky with finding this mill at a super cheap price. From what I can tell( I’m a mechanic not a machinist….yet) this machine is in pretty good shape.

This video is on belt replacement, hope it helps others so that they aren’t blindly trying to figure it out themselves as I did.

Looks nice; thanks for the video. Does your 602 use a magnetic starter? Or drum switch?

I have an earlier 602 that's not as pretty but works ok. Had to do minor repairs on motor & on spindle brake. The quill oil cup quickly drains out and onto the table so I guess I need to pull the quill & spindle and check into oil seals.

Looks nice; thanks for the video. Does your 602 use a magnetic starter? Or drum switch?

I have an earlier 602 that's not as pretty but works ok. Had to do minor repairs on motor & on spindle brake. The quill oil cup quickly drains out and onto the table so I guess I need to pull the quill & spindle and check into oil seals.
Thanks.

Mine has a drum switch on it.

I did notice the quill oil cup on mine will drain out onto the bed overnight. So I might be doing those repairs as well. I may need to do some work on the brake. The adjustment screw for it is seized up. I was worried about breaking it. It holds okay, but definitely needs to be adjusted soon.

Check your oil cup. Fill it with cotton to allow oil to be retained and seep out as needed. I recommend that you use the mill before tearing into it.
The Excello 602 is a great machine compared to a Bridgeport.

Check your oil cup. Fill it with cotton to allow oil to be retained and seep out as needed. I recommend that you use the mill before tearing into it.
The Excello 602 is a great machine compared to a Bridgeport.
Thanks for the recommendation, yes I plan to use it to see if it’s something I really need to tear down. As of now everything in the spindle seems to be good and I don’t want to tear it down if I don’t need to.

So, with that size belt that you choose to use, how does the actual spindle RPM compare to the RPM scale on the spindle speed dial?

Back