What's new
What's new

Excello grinding spindle: Request for information

PanheadBill

Plastic
Hello, First post.

I picked up a Hammond #2 manual surface grinder for the price of the P.M. chuck and gas to haul it 70 miles. The Ex-cell-o 1074 motorized spindle has been "worked on" sometime in the past and now I'm trying to rebuild it. The ways are in great shape, the table moves smoothly, and the oiling system works well.

As received, the rear (motor) bearings were noisy and the spindle could be slowed by "pinching" the tapered end of the spindle with my thumb and index finger. This seemed to be less powerful than expected for a 1 hp 3 ph motor.

The bearings were a mixed set one MAC mated with a MRC, a pair of Fafnir in the middle and a set 1 older and 1 newer MRC. The nose and middle bearings sets were assembled Back to Back while the motor's set was in tandem face out. In addition the armature sat 5/16" forward of the center of the stator. (maybe the reason for less than expected power?)

At this point I am looking for bearings that I can pay off in my lifetime, and need information on the preload and orientation of the bearings for this spindle. I really do not want to pay $80 to the guy on E-bay for the excello spindle manual for the information on page 35.

What I have so far is a partial list of bearing numbers (with assumption of a 10 lb preload)

57 bearing

From catalog info:
Excello/MRC XO-57-87-rbds
MRC (new) XO-57-rbds 10
Timkin MM57XWOCRDU E9013C

From my spindle:
MAC X750DF Thrust abce7
MRC XO57 D 53 C1 (Note: "3" of "53" hard to read so suspect)
Fafnir MM 57EX 50 C1

67 bearing

From catalog info:
Excello/MRC XO-67-57-rbds
MRC (new) XO-67-rbds 10
Timkin MM67XWOCRDU E9013C

From my spindle:
MM 67EX 10 c1

Any spindle dimensions/drawings and bearing info would be very helpful. I suspect that the front bearing spacer is about 5/16" too thick, causing the rotor to stator offset.

Also, I found a pair of excello 67-2 bearings on E-bay; does anyone know what the -2 indicates in preload?

Thanks in advance,
"Panhead" Bill

P.S. I forgot to mention that the motor stator checks out: no shorts, opens passes megger testing and the 3 phases are near perfectly balanced. The Rotor passes a growler, test so no open bars.

Last edited:
If you can stop the motor with your hand, likely reason is the motor is wired 440V and you have it on 220.compare the wiring the the diagram on the nameplate, or post the wire numbers that are grouped together.

Is not the motor connected to the spindle with a coupling? and the rotor supported by its own bearings. Something is not making sense to me regarding the rotor.

BTW: I have a 1hp grinder motor off a Harig available. Runs fine. PM me

Thanks for the response:

I can't stop the motor but I can slow it down noticeably with my thumb and index finger on the spindle taper. I'm thinking that the issue is the rotor being 5/16" offset in the stator likely caused by whomever was tinkering with it last. (They used a punch and hammer to loosen and tighten the bearing covers.) The spacer in the nose appears to be a home brew item.

The motor is a 220 volt 3 phase only. The stator only has three leads. Each phase is getting 220 volts.

The spindle is an ex-cell-o spindle (model 1074), the motor is integral to the spindle (no coupling, one long shaft from the thread on the nose to the hex on the end of the motor). The stator and housing are removable and the rotor is pressed onto the spindle shaft with a long key. The spindle/motor assembly has 3 duplex bearings; (2) 2.25" O.D. on the spindle nose and back of motor housing, and (1) 2.437" at the middle of the spindle a short distance in front of the rotor. The middle bearing serves as both a rear spindle and front motor bearing.

"PanheadBill"

Back