What's new
What's new

Getting a rusted Kurt leadscrew and nut apart

triumph406

Diamond
On one of my Kurts the the Leadscrew and Nut became totally frozen together. Low concentration coolant that is rust prone being the culprit.

What didn't work to get it apart
1) me (200#+) hanging off the end of a 5' bar with a 3/4 socket and 1/2 hinged angle at the business end, bent the handle, srew didn't budge.
Gave the mess to my buddy Kenny who's a heavy equipment mechanic.
2) 1" CP impact gun at 175psi didn't move the screw
3) heating with a rose bud till it was very toasty didn't work
4) hitting each end of the screw with a brass drift and sledge hammer didn't work (Kenny's a big boy, so can hit hard)

What did work
5) as a last resort Kenny cleaned the mess in a degreaser bath thorougly, and then applied about 5-6 drops of the rust remover at each end of the screw twice a day for a week. Screw came straight out with a 1/2 impact wrench.

The juice is availible from automotive body shop supplies, apparently requires gloves, ventilation etc if your being carefull.IMG_2972[1].jpg

The seperated parts after some cleaning
IMG_2973[1].jpg

I'm a little surprised you guys didn't butcher the ends of the screw, but it looks pretty good considering the original condition.

I'm a little surprised you guys didn't butcher the ends of the screw, but it looks pretty good considering the original condition.

I'm surprised as well, the screw goes smoothly into the nut so the threads male/female are still in good condition.

Had the same problem, Used Kroil as lube ,then to loosen worked back and forth by hand.

I don't care for the design and I've dreamed up an apprentice project to fix the coolant issue.

I'm not machining any reference locations just adding a cover to the end of the nut.

Install a grease fitting in the cover and use water proof grease.

Had the same problem, Used Kroil as lube ,then to loosen worked back and forth by hand.

I don't care for the design and I've dreamed up an apprentice project to fix the coolant issue.

I'm not machining any reference locations just adding a cover to the end of the nut.

Install a grease fitting in the cover and use water proof grease.

That rusted up mess had been soaking in PB Blaster for 6 months, it was absolutely stuck. Took the rust remover to get it apart

That rusted up mess had been soaking in PB Blaster for 6 months, it was absolutely stuck. Took the rust remover to get it apart

I had used that stuff for something unrelated on an older pickup. Did what I needed for that application - which wasn't all that hard. BFD.

There is sooo much in the way of BS claims on product labels that just don't work - auto aftermarket more than most - that I had NO IDEA it could actually DO what it just did for you.

Thanks for that! One more arrow in the quiver.

Back