What's new
What's new

Help Identifying American Tool Works Lathe - Model B from 1973

cmikk

Plastic
Hey, all! I'm having trouble finding much info about this lathe. Its up for auction near me and I'm thinking about picking it up, but I don't know much about it. I've found a few threads with similar machines, and a bit of info, but there's a few things I need to know sooner rather than later, namely rough outside dimensions and weight. Any other info is greatly appreciated, but first order of business is can I get it on a trailer and will it fit into my shop.

Also, is this considered a pacemaker? I've seen it called different things, but I don't know when people are talking about a "pace maker model b" if they're referring to this machine or not. It doesn't have the art deco head castings like a traditional pacemaker, but most of those are from the 50s and 60s, maybe they just rolled it into a refresh around then? Or its a different model entirely? Not sure. Thanks in advance!

-Christian

bf537f4b-a6bb-4372-8d8b-b11f00fe3073.jpg15ede6f2-a456-43f0-b854-b11f00fe381b.jpg5c946ecb-d8f9-41c6-a676-b11f00fe4347.jpg25864548-873c-4f05-9307-b11f00fe342c.jpg

It weighs 7900 pounds. The preferred method for lifting it is with a pair of 1 3/8 diameter 36" long bars placed through the headstock and tailstock end rigging holes. The bars are lifted with slings. It is a difficult lift. Most of the weight is on the headstock end.

The operator's and parts manual:

The later versions of the Pacemaker abandoned the art deco style.

Last edited:
This same machine has been on eBay for a while.
Not sure what they managed to do to the paint but $1600 ? That's crazy ! And people are wandering around here with their heads up their ass, "Where can I get a quality lathe now, boo hoo" ... This one is a little bigger than I'd personally prefer but this is THE best engine lathe ever built. Ever.

Amazing.

And the Lodge didn't get over $3500, another case of imbeciles. Stuff from 1970 doesn't grow on trees, when it comes up, GRAB IT.

Not sure what they managed to do to the paint but $1600 ? That's crazy ! And people are wandering around here with their heads up their ass, "Where can I get a quality lathe now, boo hoo" ... This one is a little bigger than I'd personally prefer but this is THE best engine lathe ever built. Ever.

Amazing.

And the Lodge didn't get over $3500, another case of imbeciles. Stuff from 1970 doesn't grow on trees, when it comes up, GRAB IT.
Yeah, that's why I'm trying to figure out if I can get it. To be honest, even if its too big for my space or whatever, I can shine it up a bit and sell it for what I paid for it. Hopefully... I just have to figure out how to get it in the door. I've got almost 1200 sq. ft. to play with, but with standard garage door and ceiling heights. Finding something that can lift 4 tons but isn't taller than 8', is available in my area, and isn't foolish money isn't easy. If anyone's around the dc area with a forklift or something... =)

I've got a 14x120 from '67.

Pretty decent machine. I've always heard them called Pacemakers.

There's no reason to need a forklift. Move it on a rollback. Easy, one banana job.

Finding something that can lift 4 tons but isn't taller than 8', is available in my area, and isn't foolish money isn't easy.
Worst case, just set it inside the door with the forks then roll it around on 1" bar. It's not going to fall very far that way :)

It's pretty easy to roll stuff on bar like that. You can even use smaller if you have it around. Never tried 1/4" but can't see why it couldn't work ...

1-1/2" or 2" heavy wall pipe works very well too. Set and moved many this way in several different shops.

I more recently built my own pair of machine dollies, half day job, and set a half dozen machines with them so far.
They also do a lot of part hauling around the shop. Basically they're heavy duty platforms dollies. One of my better shop built time investments.

As for the purchase cost, EmGo hit it on the head! They're great machines and ridiculously cheap quite often. Had it been closer it would already be in my collection of Americans. That one is even cheaper than a bench top import junk lathe that couldn't hold toilet paper roller tolerance. (Probably don't have enough power either to cut TP either)

That American should easily hold great tolerance, and a coat of paint will make it look presentable pretty fast. (The people who let it get that bad should be forced to sweep floors in a steel mill!)

I recently upgraded from a 12x6 tiebar Hendey to a 20x6 (between centers) L&S Model X. I moved this into my shop with a tiltbed trailer. It kinked pipes, so I had to upgrade to 1" rod to roll, but I am EXTREMLY happy with my purchase. This lathe that you are looking at is not as long as mine, so it shouldn't be bad space wise. I would check for major problems and go for it.
Joe

Oh, I wondered if this thread would be that lathe. It was originally in an auction for a pipe company. Now the auction company is repeatedly trying to sell it. I don't know if they shill bid it too high at the first auction, or something else.

It has come to auction at least 3 times - May 17, 2023, jul 13, 2023 and now mar 13, 2024.

You have to wonder why it has not sold. As other said, it is highly desirable and a managable size for a small shop. The starting price was low, there is no reserve, so past bids have been rejected. Or the buyers decided the machine had issues.

The paint condition in spots almost looks corroded. Like overspray or splash from something. Salt? I don't know. Paint is a minor concern. There is a spring from the gear selector to one of the other knobs. Might just be a bad ball detent.

I'd be cautious. If there is damage in the headstock, that could be an extreme repair, with parts not available. Did someone try and shift it on the fly, etc?

Back