What's new
What's new

Help identifying split-bed lever action cross slide

Jim S.

Hot Rolled
Some years ago I acquired this cross slide. It was identified as Hardinge but is definitely not. Would appreciate help identifying its maker so a suitable home can be found for it. Several distinctive features:
- split bed has 3" flat, 1/2" bevels with 35 degree angle, 7/16-14 hole for fixing bolt, 4" width
- distinctive riser blocks with unique design of attached top plates for T-slot (based on fit/finish, appear to be original
- unique flaking design
- unique lever handle attaching bracket

It appears to be very finely made with excellent fit and finish throughout. Shows some sign of use but has no observable wear. No casting marks or makers marks found anywhere. Perusal of Tony's site including Hardinge, Rivett, Stark, Wade and Ames show nothing close to this slide.
Jim

PXL_20231028_145519219.jpgPXL_20231028_145539244.jpgPXL_20231103_144147269.jpgPXL_20231103_144354092.jpg

Jim R. - I had not thought of Elgin simply because of my (perhaps erroneous) understanding that many of Elgin tool features were direct copies of Hardinge. Presumably because Elgin reportedly was started by former Hardinge employees. I seem to recall mention that several lathe accessories, such as cross slides and tailstocks were interchangeable between Elgin and Hardinge.

It's true, though, that I cannot rule out the split-bed feature having been enlarged from a smaller size by a previous owner. But there's nothing to specifically indicate it was modified.
Jim

I have a few odds and ends of post-1930 Elgin Tool Works products, the ones made in the old Hardinge Brothers factory building in Chicago. They do seem to fit Hardinge split beds, but the castings and details are always different from similar Hardinge products.

Here is an Elgin lever cross slide for a 7" swing that I have. One possibility for the name is that it refers to Hardinge Mfg. Co., Elgin Tool Works Div. Another possibility is that this item was sold with a Hardinge Brothers lathe during WWII. I have a 9" Elgin slide rest with the same marking.

I have seen way too many cast iron lathe parts (often Hardinge) where the top of the T-slot has been broken and repaired by attaching steel plates with screws. So when I see a part like that, I just assume it is a repair rather than original. Such repairs were done by machinists, so it is fair to expect them to be neatly done.

Larry

DSC02749.JPG

DSC02750.JPG

DSC02751.JPG

I did some checking around my shop last night and I think it may be a Rivett slide. The 3" flat, 35 degree bevels, and 7/16-14 bolt all match some old Rivett 918 stuff I had laying around. I no longer have the compound pictured, but I found the picture of it that I took before I sold it. The pics are from an old. 918 brochure. I still have 1 of the slide rest plates shown in the 1st pic. It too, matches your measured dimensions.

I hope this helps.

Bob

Attachments

• 918-3.jpg
    918-3.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 918-6.jpg
    918-6.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0875.JPG
    IMG_0875.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 10
Thanks for all the replies.

Bob - I think you nailed it. I appreciate your confirmation of the split bed dimensions.

Last night I found this Youtube video which shows a Rivett 913 lathe with the exact slide as mine pictured. It is listed as a model 913 but I wonder if that is a typo and it is actually a 918.

Glad to be of help Jim. I started working in the trade at 16 back in '72 running a 918. That company had many model Rivetts, South Bends, and Van Norman mills scattered throughout the plant. I know those machines well, as I was in the machine repair department.

Back