What's new
What's new

How to re-home a Romi M17 lathe

I recently purchased a Romi M17 lathe. I certainly don't know very much about running it yet, but I am learning. Today I was machining a bushing on a tailstock supported mandrel up closer to the chuck. Before finishing, I shut the machine down and went home. After returning, I wanted to finish the project. I started the machine, and since I didn't want to slide the tailstock all the way to the end of the bed to properly home the machine, I decided to just slide the bracket with the sensor rod up in front of the tailstock. I then homed the carriage, but it only stopped when the sensor rod tripped the contactor. It didn't properly home. And, it doesn't appear to go into "Guide" mode unless correctly homed. Now, the carriage won't travel past where it was stopped. It alarms out, and won't travel to its true home position. How can I reset the parameters so it will again travel to the end of the lathe bed to the correct home position? Thanks to all who give advice.

Greetings -

I too have a M17, but your question is really about homing a FANUC 21i-T Unfortunately I recently let the battery in my encoder die and lost home (and all my tool offsets, PITA) and did something like this:
. There are other videos that cover the same, search for "homing a FANUC control." (I have absolute encoders but I think the procedure is the same either way.)

Did your machine come with any manuals or an SRAM backup? How familiar are you with FANUC controls?

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for your response! You asked how familiar I am with Fanuc. I am like unto a man who travels to a foreign country and learns a phrase or two out of a tourist guidebook.
I have had this machine for two weeks. I did not have any prior experience with Fanuc. I have a little experience with a Prototrak mill. And some more experience with a cnc plasma table.
Here is what I did. I watched the video you posted. Then I did some more searching on how to home Fanuc 21i. I noticed that several people suggested holding the P and Can hard keys upon initial booting up of the control when starting the machine. So I thought about that for awhile, and came to the conclusion that doing so would likely cancel a parameter that had not been programed in the control, but introduced in the way I did it.
So that's what I did this morning, and the machine then homed as normal, and everything seems to be working right so far. Thanks again!

Glad to hear it. If you haven't done so already search the forum for "Romi" & "M17", there is a lot of helpful information. If you're stuck without manuals DM me.

Back