What's new
What's new

I am looking for some information and maybe a machine identification

Cyruscosmo

Plastic
Hello

I have been on this site hundreds of times over the years reading stories and learning about this and that with the idea in mind that one day I will have a place of my own to park a Mill. Well, my shop is done and now I have floor space to fill up with tools and prepare for retirement.

I bought this machine for the parts if not the whole machine. What I mean is that if the ways and ball screws were in good condition I would rebuild the machine and use it as is, if not the parts would be used for another project. There was no manufacturer tag that I could see in the pictures before I bought it but I did identify the major components save one, the spindle. I figured I would find the actual manufacturer name and numbers under or behind something after I got it and dismantled it for inspection and cleaning. But no tag! The people I bought it from have no clue who the manufacturer was so I have no clue who to call and ask for specs and or part numbers. Speculation is that the company that used to own it, "Delstar" had it built for some purpose. I have not been able to get hold of anyone there that knows anything either.

The machine weighs in at 7K so has a nice rock solid bottom end. The box style ways are wide and thick, Z-axis is practically unworn but has some blemishes from very light surface rust. X-axis has some signs of wear and may need a regrind and new turcite, I still have to remove it to find out. The Y-axis also has some surface rust blemishes but is smooth as the Z.

The automatic oiler and lines were all intact and functioning except for the one line feeding the X-axis which is why the X ways are not in better shape. The main line was partially crushed so the oil was restricted if not cut off altogether.

At first, I thought the machine was missing the "controller" but later I found what apparently is a control board but not one I have ever heard of. The name on the circuit board is a Galil DMC-2126.

Has anyone ever used one of these and what are your thoughts on it?

X and Y servos are Yaskawa type SGMGH-09ACA61
X and Y servopacks are 200v Yaskawa SGDH-10AE
Z servo is a Yaskawa type SGMGH-0ACA61
Z servopack is a 200v Yaskawa SGDH-20AE

X, Y, and Z servos also have encoders mounted on them. I imagine they are stock Yaskawa. The VFD is a Yaskawa CIMR F7U23P7 and the motor is a Yaskawa Black Max BVC 184THTL7726FF with an encoder.

The spindle has no numbers on it save what looks like a serial number that returns no results in Google. The pneumatic-hydraulic pressure booster unit is Swiss made by a company named Destaco and the tool release unit has an OTT-JAKOB Rotary Union on it that leaks so I cannot get the tool that is currently mounted out of the spindle. The spindle rotates smoothly and looks to be in excellent condition but the nose seal is missing so I need to find out who built this spindle so I can track down some parts, or off it goes to the spindle doctor.

If anyone has an idea who built this machine I would appreciate the information. If anyone has suggestions on what controller to use for this setup I would like to hear from you. This is my first Mill of this type and so I am learning as I go.

So what I am looking for is information on the whole machine if anyone has ideas.

Who should I talk to in regards to finding parts for the spindle, does anyone have suggestions or experience with a rebuilder they would use?

I am located in Washington state near Seattle and am looking for someone in this area or close who rebuilds machines like this for a possible regrind on the X ways. Any ideas?

You may ask why I bought this machine over a name brand? Two reasons. The price was right for the parts alone, the second reason is that every time I found a nice machine that would fit my needs it was gone faster than I could say... Umm...

But now that the machine is here and I get a good look at the frame/ways I can see with a bit of work on my part it will work out perfect for what I have in mind. Not going into business or production of any kind. Just gonna throw some chips around and make things that cross my mind.

Thank you all for any information or ideas.

Attachments

• Overall.jpg
    Overall.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 108
The Yaskawa servos and spindle motor and drive is really good stuff.

The OTT-JAKOB drawbar is a quality part. I've only ever dealt with them once years ago for some parts and my only clear memory was that the parts were shockingly expensive.

Galil is crap IME and should be replaced. No experience with the unit you have but worked with their 10xx series on laser welders and wafer inspection tools. The I/O stuff was not solid and in one instance had a laser welder randomly turn on the laser and stitch a weld across my thumb. Their native programming is not G and M code like most CNCs. They do or did make a G and M code "translator" program, but it was not reliable so we resorted to programming in Galil's language for a while. Ultimately the machines were rebuilt around Fanuc controls to get some reliable, predictable behavior.

Few users here deal with PC based controls. There are other forums where guys will be better able to point you toward a working solution.

I don't agree that Galil HW is crap but it's important to realize that their controllers are made for generic motion control applications and not specifically for machine tools. To properly implement a Galil for a machine tool controller with the proper safety measures, etc. is not a small task. They support their old products and you can probably pull the existing code off of it via serial but it is going to be next to impossible to interpret. Galil uses their own command language which is fine when you're used to working with it but not something you want to learn for a one-off project. Plus, the Galil was likely only doing low level control and another computer with, you know, a screen and buttons would have been there to feed motion commands to the galil.

A PC based control may be the easiest thing to do and there are enormous resources online from people who've done it. Also very cheap assuming your servos and drives are good. Agreed that Yaskawa stuff is very good quality, fingers crossed it's all in working order.

Back