What's new
What's new

I spent 150 bucks on amazon and added (reliable) washdown to the 2023 DNM5700 I just got for my garage.

xnewmanx

Aluminum
Originally I had planned to post this when I had some more pictures of the finished machine, but I'm stuck in Hibbing, MN for work with a wicked stomach bug and cant leave the shitter, so I just decided to do some basic prints on how I accomplished it.

I like to keep my machines very clean because I own them personally. My VF2SSYT has an OEM washdown and I was really surprised that the DN didn't, and that it was like 4000 bucks to add it on from the factory (additional coolant pump, etc)

I bounced back and forth between amazon coolant pumps, other aftermarket pumps, using the stock pump with a 3 way walve with electric or pneumatic switching, but it all got kind of expensive and just seemed like a lot of undue messing around.

Basically what I did was mount a manual ball valve in such a way that I could extend the handle out front through the coolant tank front, then punched a hose through another hole in the same. It works great and is super easy. Here was the procedure.

1) remover flared coolant elbow from check valve.
2) assemble valve and fittings as per dwg. Make sure the pivot for the valve is aimed at the front of the machine.
3) use a rod to figure out where to poke the handle extension through the front upper valance of the coolant tank (I have left hand conveyor. RH conveyor may cause issues?)
4) drill the hole. install rubber grommet. figure out rod length. modify/weld to valve handle on valve centerline using flatstock. weld a small handle to the far end (i used an old socket head, you could make something nicer, maybe I will on a slow day.) I used a small diameter handle because it allowed to me slip it through the grommet from the inside, then install the handle back on the valve so there was no reason have a removable handle.
5) drill a hole with a hole saw for a fitting i was only able to find from home depot (mght x 3/4 mnpt x 1/2 fnpt). Use a washer as an escucheon and an NPT nut to secure. Add some hoses and a spray nozzle.
6) change keep relay (i think it was 4.7) for use coolant door interlock. I can check when i get home.
7) turn the valve, turn on coolant and clean up this chips!

Here are some images.

PL.gifISO.gif

3VIEW.gif

Actual photos below:

View attachment IMG_9660.jpegView attachment IMG_9662.jpeg
View attachment IMG_9664.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9660.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_9662.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_9664.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I've been trying to come up with something for my 5700. My concern with your setup would be dead heading the coolant pump. Thinking of something similar but adding a pressure relief valve and dumping coolant back into the tank when I'm not spraying the inside of the machine down.

I've been trying to come up with something for my 5700. My concern with your setup would be dead heading the coolant pump. Thinking of something similar but adding a pressure relief valve and dumping coolant back into the tank when I'm not spraying the inside of the machine down.
I've been dead heading my pumps for years, never an issue.
I do install a ball-valve before the system I shut off when not in use. But, the hose nozzles spend plenty of time closed while the pumps are running.
In my 10+ years of ownership, I have only ever had one coolant pump fail. And that pump showed up noisy when I purchased the machine.
Not saying your idea isn't fantastic. It is! Only that the dead heading issue may not be that big of a deal.

A pop off could be an option but typically I have the hose in hand before I even turn the coolant on so it’s only deadhead for seconds, if at all.

Didn't want to start a new thread but here's a little stainless toolholder I whipped up for the mill:

lj6cqceydw0c1.jpg

7g00pdeydw0c1.jpg

b51sneeydw0c1.jpg

kohzmeeydw0c1.jpg

I like the banner, but what are all the key things about?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
I just use them to be able to tell at a glance what tools are in the machine. The tags go on the tools when they're in the rack. I built out my tool library in cam where tools 1-50 are reserved for square EMs, 51-100 are radius, etc. The DNM can store 400 offsets, it'll be a long time before I need to change that.

I don't break my tools/toolholders down much (if at all), so it's nice to be able to just grab a tool, take a quick glance and see I have 8 different drills in the machine (hanging in the "drills" column), pull one of them out and swap it with the tool I need. Tell the machine what tool is in the spindle and go without having to measure it.

I figured I have tags on all the tools anyway so I might as well have them tell me a bit more instead of just tossing them in an "in the machine" bucket.

As for why they are different colors: just because I couldn't find 001-400 key ring tags on amazon. So green/yellow/red/blue are 1-100,101-200,201-300, 301-400 respectively.

0x079zz67hfa1.jpg

tags.jpg

I think that you are showcasing the wrong feature here!

You should start a new thread showing this!
I have a feeling that this would be VERY interesting to many folks here!

Seriously, you should start a new thread with a thought out title that will be searchable for years to come.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I think that you are showcasing the wrong feature here!

You should start a new thread showing this!
I have a feeling that this would be VERY interesting to many folks here!

Seriously, you should start a new thread with a thought out title that will be searchable for years to come.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Honestly, I was bracing for being told it was the stupidest thing anyone's ever seen hence why I never posted about it. I had something similar with my haas, just never had the forethought to arrange the tools in groups or to make the "board"

I just noticed that the banner would hang down when the door goes up.

Good show!

This is in your garage?

BTW, hope you're feeling better!

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Very cool, could not agree with Ox more. This deservers it's own thread. I aspire to be as diligent and thoughtful in my shop practice.

Last edited:
I think this is a great solution, I think I'm going to use a 3 way valve and just turn the valve round the side when I want to use it (a bit like I do with the washdown gun on my Minimill).

Could you explain point 6 a little more please?

"6) change keep relay (i think it was 4.7) for use coolant door interlock. I can check when i get home."

Ideally I want to keep the machine as safe as possible.

Back