What's new
What's new

Identifying haas lube system fittings

erikh

Plastic
My mach4 control retrofit ‘92 VF2 needs a new lube tube and fittings for the X axis. I haven’t been able to determine exactly what kind of fittings these are or what the ID/OD of the tube should be. It’s close to but smaller than 4mm OD. The old Haas manuals I have found just don’t seem to say anything about it. The local industrial and machine shops serving the local petroleum industry have all inevitably “never seen anything at all like that in our entire lives and quite frankly question whether such a thing as you’re holding in your hand could even exist.”

It’s been driving me crazy for three years. I would really like to have lube on the X axis! Help!

Attachments

• 76E0315A-B021-4347-BA73-C61ED145F05A.jpeg
    76E0315A-B021-4347-BA73-C61ED145F05A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • 2A709F6E-8872-43E0-9AD9-74A15EBB92EF.jpeg
    2A709F6E-8872-43E0-9AD9-74A15EBB92EF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • 37B172B8-A754-4664-815D-FAFDA3ABC927.jpeg
    37B172B8-A754-4664-815D-FAFDA3ABC927.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
This machine uses the Bijur mechanical lube system. Haas has a little bit of documentation on their site, but the connectors in the diagram appear to be newer style.

I'm betting that only the earliest Haas milling machines used these connectors. If I figure out what they are, I'll update this thread.

That's almost certainly 4mm tubing, some plastics will shrink over time due to plasticizer or other constituent loss. You might try contacting Bijur on Monday and see if they have fittings of the correct type, get the rest of the ferule and nut dimensions.

Ferrule numbers don't have to be perfect, as long as it's got a 4mm ID, correct (near enough) OD, and ends that "sorta" match what you have it should work. I've made my own compression ferrules if in a time pinch or difficulty getting replacements. Use a softer brass or copper, even 6061 can work.

Make sure your replacement tubing is chemically compatible with the oil you're using! Be sure all ports are clean, and hard tubing not clogged.

Double-check that you're not getting incorrect readings from your caliper - that style can have some slop in the sliding jaw or an inadvertently created "0".

Depending on the year of the machine it may be a Bijur or a LUBE USA mechanical pump. The LUBE USA line is usually 4mm, and Bijur tail tubing is generally 5/32. They are generally interchangeable. I work at Lube USA. Generally nylon is most common.

had to replace some lube lines 4mm and hardware and mcmaster had the compression end that was closet match I found
tubing from cnc speacilty

and

These are them

Thank you, everybody. Taking all your info together, I found them. Definitely 5/32 Bijur Tube Fittings.

This worked out much better than that time when someone on here suggested I buy a DMG Mori 5 axis machine, shit man

Did you get one and now regret it?

Glad you found the right fittings, mind posting the link or part number?
Ferrule is #BB8272, bushing is #BB3783.

The story with the 2013 DMU 65 ultrasonic w/ siemens 840d is that it was too expensive and soaked up too much of my capital, which left me no room to accommodate its crazy productivity-limiting issues, such as:
  • a brake-check routine that ran every 8 hours and often required power cycling the machine if it was triggered by a tool change
  • the 1000psi through-spindle coolant never reliably working
  • IJK mode 5 axis commands resulting in unpredictable floating point errors on the machine
  • AC mode 5 axis commands resulting in inaccurate kinematics if the Z plane did not exactly match the machine table (ie, something other than 0 for x or y workpiece coordinate system rotation, or something other than 0 for A or C workpiece coordinate system values)
  • cycle832 apparently just doesn't do much for TRAORI multiaxis movement? I mean, it's great for 3 axis, but 5 commands seem to always be very high precision. So a $120k Haas 5 axis machine could churn out 10 parts in the time it took this machine to make one, because there's really no 5 axis roughing capability
  • the parts manifest didn't match the manual which didn't match the machine. Repairing anything required the maintenance guy to come out to my shop ($$$$$$$$) and see what part number was actually in the machine
I really loved that machine. I kept it all the way to being repossessed. Unfortunately, the finance company, SMFL, sold it at auction for pennies on the dollar, so I had to declare bankruptcy on that affair.

Umm - Damn. Glad I didn't give advice on that purchase.

At least, I hope I didn't. I'll try to find that thread. Sorry it went terribly wrong for you...
Don't worry about it; the responsibility is ultimately mine alone. There is so much I'm doing differently, this time around.

Back