What's new
What's new

Is UMC-750 that bad?

Thank You.
"...The default value is 0. The maximum allowed compensation is +/- 0.1 mm."

On my UMC the deviation is much larger now.
Is there a procedure available to mechanically position both axes (B & C) to the point of intersection?

Have you had any crashes? I can't imagine this could drift so much unless either the head was crashed and shifted, or the machine has settled and needs to be re-leveled.

Re-leveling may be needed anyway, but I would contact your HFO to get advice.

Is there a procedure available to mechanically position both axes (B & C) to the point of intersection?

The software compensates for the deviation. Why would you want to try opening that can of worms to get it mechanically just a smidge closer?

Is it off by more than .12mm?

Yes, it is more unfortunatelly (broken drill on B90).

What's that mean? You crashed badly? Resulting in broken drill and now machine misalignment?

Or misalignment caused you to break a drill?

Was crash operator error? because depending on software version, DWO can be buggy with canned cycles resulting in Z-plunging negative or positive values...

B & C intersection dist is dependent on how the trunnion was machined in the factory. And probably how it attaches to the b-rotary. Not sure of the details in that, if it is pinned in center or not, but you've got easier adjustments to deal with first.

The front support has set screws to adjust its position, combined with adjusting the machines leveling feet allow you to dial in the squareness. Are those in spec? Y travel is square to table platter at B0 and B90? I think you need to fix those first before making a determination whether or not to try to fix setting 254

B & C intersection dist is dependent on how the trunnion was machined in the factory. And probably how it attaches to the b-rotary. Not sure of the details in that, if it is pinned in center or not, but you've got easier adjustments to deal with first.

The front support has set screws to adjust its position, combined with adjusting the machines leveling feet allow you to dial in the squareness. Are those in spec? Y travel is square to table platter at B0 and B90? I think you need to fix those first before making a determination whether or not to try to fix setting 254

Work in progress. Conclusions coming soon ... keep your fingers crossed .

Does anyone have any info regarding B & C intersection mechanical adjustments?
What are you meant to do if they are off by more than .005"?

We had a UMC750 for 7 years, hated every job we ran across it. The 180deg bore mismatch was easily >0.005. The C-axis would wander and we'd need to manually dial it in every day. (We had haas look at both of these issues and their findings were "it meets factory spec") It has the rigidity of a limp noodle. The 1000psi TSC pump would scream so loud you have to wear ear plugs.

Let's see... what else? Oh true position was always difficult to hold in 3+2 so we ran the MRZP calibration periodically throughout the day and would see the center point shift a few thou every time, this way then that way, and every which way in between. Good luck software compensating that.

Does anyone have any info regarding B & C intersection mechanical adjustments?
What are you meant to do if they are off by more than .005"?
Are you talking about origin adjustments on mechanically sound machine, worn out or crashed? If it's the former you can do mrzp and test cuts to make your origin parameter adjustments. If it's more than that I'd consider having a tech come in and go through it. Hopefully you have a good dealer or at the very least a good independent and preferably someone who knows UMC's. Have them go though it, replace any worn parts and align all the kinematics. UMC's are notorious for being so-so at best, horrible at worst and kinematics getting out of whack on even small crashes. Not to mention not very rigid and sometimes droopy at Y-.

Back