What's new
What's new

Kool Mist - Ordered 77 but received 78

ee_chris

Aluminum
It has been quite a while since I ordered a jug of Kool Mist 77. After comparing stupid-high prices, I ordered on Amazon from Travers. The gallon jug I received has "Formula 77" screened on it, but it has a paper sticker down the side the says (in TINY text) "Formula 78". The Kool Mist website says 78 is "light duty". It also says 77 has been "reformulated to provide the same safety as 78". So new 77 isn't necessarily the same as old 77.

I'm a hobbyist, not a commercial shop. I use Kool Mist at the recommended dilution for spray-mist on my (open) CNC mill, and at a way-higher concentration in my 7x12 horizontal bandsaw. Does anyone know if 78 is going to work as well as original 77 for spray-mist when milling mostly aluminum, and some steel? And as coolant in my saw? Or should I be pissed they pulled a switch on me and just send it back?

TIA for any input.

Chris

I just got some Kool Mist 77 from Little Machine Shop last week. The label on the bottles is Kool Mist 77.

The jug was double-boxed, and the inner box has a label indicating the seller was All Industrial Tool Supply, not Travers like I thought. I don't know if this was my mistake or Amazon smoke-and-mirrors BS. I'm sure I was looking at a page that showed Travers as the seller, but in any case, the product page linked to from my order specifically says Kool Mist 77 (not 78).

Formula 77 stains brass severely and aluminum to some extent.

I have not had any issues with 78 on stainless but perhaps I am not running it as hard as I could 77.

Follow-up: I'm all for supporting small vendors, but I'm on the wrong coast and shipping from LMS is stupid-expensive. I returned the Formula 78 from All Industrial via Amazon, and ordered Formula 77 from MSC. It was $5 more, plus sales tax and $12 economy shipping. But the correct stuff arrived with "Formula 77" on the jug and the paper label, and it didn't leak in shipment.

Back