What's new
What's new

Leblond Makino Regal help

Frields

Plastic
I have a Leblond Makino Regal engine lathe. Serial Number 14E-316. It has the dial switch for forward-neutral-brake-neutral-reverse. The brake quit working. Along with this, it now has trouble finding a gear if you want to change speed. The spindle doesn’t oscillate (I think because of the brake) and I would say this is why it won’t find the selected gear.
Does anyone have a service manual for this or any info on how to figure out how to fix this?

It is a “servo shift” model. The left end has a small door, but there wasn’t anything of interest inside there when I opened it.

Attachments

• IMG_3698.jpeg
    IMG_3698.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3697.jpeg
    IMG_3697.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
You can spin the chuck to get it to shift gears until you get the machine fixed. I don't know about the newer machines (mine was a 7), but a bad zero speed switch could also keep the brake from working.

Thanks! I probably spent 10 to 15 minutes per shift trying to spin the chuck and getting it to engage. It was hit or miss. Mostly miss. Once it got in one, I just had to make do with that speed. Unfortunately it was a lot of drilling and then changing to low gear to tap the hole.

Remove the LH headstock cover and check the wires that power the brake.

The spindle oscillation during shifting can cause the wires to flex and fail over time.

Mike
Would that be the top piece circled in red in this image?

Attachments

• IMG_3700.jpeg
    IMG_3700.jpeg
    31.4 KB · Views: 14
Thanks. I opened a small door on the orange piece a couple of days ago and didn’t see anything in there of interest. I assume the whole outside of the orange piece comes off. I will dig more into that on Tuesday. Thanks again.

Back