What's new
What's new

Lifting a Monarch Series 61, 54" C2C

nobrakese28

Cast Iron
Hi, has anyone unloaded a Monarch 54" center lathe from a flatbed? I am closing in on a deal on a series 61. My plan is to deliver it to my place of employement, as there is a rental equipment yard right next door. The lathe weighs in at 8500-9000lbs I will have a 12k or a 15k forklift available.

I worry about not being prepared. I have moved my 10ee a few times and that wasn't a big deal.

My plan is to remove the chip pan, move the apron and tailstock to the right. Then lift the machine from the bottom of the bed, I'll probably need some boards to clear the clutch engament rod.

The 54" seems like it woul be balanced with the forks under the bedway. I know Monarch shows the machine being lifted from bed casting with ropes/straps, but I will have to drive about 150ft with the lathe on the forklift and that worries me (swinging).

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Marco

I lifted my series 61 54" with a large fork lift. Did not need to remove chip pan, nor do anything about clutch rod as I recall. The bottom of bed is lower than clutch rod, though obviously double check that on arrival. And I lifted from bottom of bed.

As you mentioned, I would move TS and apron as far right as possible. Even with that, the head stock side is much heavier, headstock itself, motor, and larger base on that side. I brought my one fork in as close to head stock side as possible, and the other fork as wide as possible. And picked up from under bed, from rear side of lathe.

Lift slowly until both ends are in the air slightly, then shake and push to make sure stable before backing off trailer.Get close to the ground once clearing trailer.

If paved driveway or parking lot, your stress level will be lower, lol. If a rock driveway, pot holes, etc it wont be fun traveling. Just crawl along without touching gas, so the load don't bounce on forks. I'd tilt back slightly, but you dont want to slide and bang into the forklifts masts either.

I'd pick from the rear of lathe. So if it does slide toward mast, you won't bang levers and dials. Maybe blocks of wood between bed and mast.

I did not, but if you wanted to be safer, might use ratchet straps for added security. Maybe around chuck pulling toward mast further away from headstock, or something along that line.

Yep, one fork as far left as you can get it. The other wide, and if you're moving that far or over any kind of bumps, I'd throw a ratchet strap around the bed tying it to the right fork. The right end will still be very light. Wouldn't hurt to throw another around the headstock and tie off to the left fork to prevent any unplanned lateral movement and keep the fork pulled tight to the left corner. Most of the weight will be carried on the left fork, be careful. Keep the load low just in case.

Edit: left and right are as picked from the operator's side. If you lift from the back side like Charlie: scratch that, reverse it.

Last edited:
Just moved a 12000 lb lathe getting off the trailer i would lift from under the bed if possible and strap the hell out of it so it doesn't slide at all on the forks. its amazing how little imperfections in the pavement/concrete will move them on the forks.

Monarch recommends to use a heavy timber on the bed and straps to lifting point above the lathe so prevent face plants of the side of the lathe onto the floor. Lathes mostly top heavy.

Back