What's new
What's new

Looked at a unicorn FP4CCT with weird owner

Martin P

Titanium
Just yesterday there was an advertisement for an FP4CCT for sale very very close to me, machine for sale in parts.
Drove to the shop who specializes in race cars and engine work. I am very close to the Nürburgring, so no surprise there.
The shop had all the high end engine related machine tools, also no surprise, but behind that section was an all green Deckel section with 4 (!) FP4CCT and several smaller Deckel CNC. All spick and span.
The one to be parted is quite a rare machine, being an FP4CCT with IKZ (internal coolant), 4th axis and sliding head. So it can change vertically and horizontally and switch the axis automatically (don't forget to remove tools from spindle before doing so. The IKZ requires an additional coolant system unit the size of the electrical cabinet. I had never seen one before.
I could not get a straight clear story on the machine, all info conflicted with each other. It has sat for years, he did not want me to fix the control side, it ran when they bought it, side panels removed on sliding head, 6 cards removed from control (says he has them). His statements got weirder from there: 2 service techs were there that could not load parameters because the parameters were so old that no-one has them (it was the normal factory SW 4.274) or they would not work, then he said that FPS offered a newer SW that they developed (bull), but 4.274 was the last one (???). I told him 7.07 was the last one and I could burn him a set. But he insisted 4.274 to be the last one and then insisted that the EPROMs are all soldered in and that was too much work. I told him they are socketed, but he insisted they are sodered in. OKaaaaay....

So the fascinating thing for me was to meet someone quite successful, who on a subject he apparently knows little about (but which is relevant to his business) persistently insists that his misconceptions are correct. Why is that? It's not like I was conflictual or pushy. He did not have to prove anything.
It seems to me that in his business he has to deal with so many bullshitting people that bring him engine parts to rebuild and tell him how to do it, that he is automatically in the "I know better anyway and always" mindset. So to speak he may be the victim of an occupational "disease".
I have noticed you do not become successful by being a nice guy, on the contrary being an a**h*** is very often a prerequisite.

Anyway I asked him what he wants for the cabinet or its contents and he does not know, but wants to think about it. Okay. Interesting visit anyway, and so close.

a**h**s are fine if they start and end that way. It is the ones who fake it till they make it or ask you to trust them and then lie, cheat or steal on they way out. Those are the ones who make the world a sh++ty place.
These true a*8*&^s often know their stuff and don't have time to BS you or anyone else.

But it is the greater man who can be successful and not have to be an As*&6le to succeed.

I have the deepest respect and admiration for people that are successful in an honest business venture in general principle, but particularly when they manage to not let it compromize their character.
The machine in question here is still advertised, he is not giving a price, he is not asking for an offer, he just says he has to think about how much he wants, but then does not. He is not really an A**h***, but he certainly seems dysfunctional in this part of his behavior spectrum.

Internal coolant could be huge problem, especially if it's sitting for long time.
If water based coolant leaked somewhere all over inside the spindle, it's truely a parts machine, because it's likely a big rusty mess.
Would run that stuff only with cutting oil now, water based stuff is nasty, if not used everyday and flushed regularly.

Back