What's new
What's new

Looking for the model of this South Bend lathe

Optiman

Plastic
I’m looking for the model number of this south bend leaves the serial number is 137651

You can only get the model from serial by requesting the production card from South Bend. The only benefit to that is you get the original owner and supplied equipment. You can derive the catalog number by measuring the swing and the bed length. We don't have much to go on but we can guess.Since its a single tumbler gear box that would date the machine to the 1940s. Based on the proportions of the machine I would say its a 14-1/2" or 16" inch lathe.

16" Lathe would be a #117 or #8117 for Tool Room
14-1/2" Lathe would be a #183 or #8183 for Tool Room
Catalog number is then suffixed by a letter B/C/D etc with those meaning 5,6, or 7 foot bed respectively

It’s not a 13, which has a narrower base bell and a two-bolt cap over the front spindle bearing.

Could be a 16, but I’m thinking it’s a 14-1/2.

It’s the standard version, not the toolroom version. The toolroom version would have a taper attachment with a slotted connecting bar instead of the solid chip guard over the cross slide screw that this on has.

The apron clutch has been upgraded to the lever type. My 1945 14-1/2, which has a later serial number, uses a star wheel clutch.

I see a lever collet closer. If the collets are 4C, it’s a 14-1/2. The 16 used 5C collets. Later 14-1/2’s came with a bigger spindle and also used 5C collets, but that was later than mine and therefore later than the one pictured above.

It’s a six-foot bed, so I’m betting it’s a 183C.

Rick “the least common of South Bend S-series lathes” Denney

Last edited:
You can only get the model from serial by requesting the production card from South Bend. The only benefit to that is you get the original owner and supplied equipment. You can derive the catalog number by measuring the swing and the bed length. We don't have much to go on but we can guess.Since its a single tumbler gear box that would date the machine to the 1940s. Based on the proportions of the machine I would say its a 14-1/2" or 16" inch lathe.

16" Lathe would be a #117 or #8117 for Tool Room
14-1/2" Lathe would be a #183 or #8183 for Tool Room
Catalog number is then suffixed by a letter B/C/D etc with those meaning 5,6, or 7 foot bed respectively
Thank you I appreciate your help.

It’s not a 13, which has a narrower base bell and a two-bolt cap over the front spindle bearing.

Could be a 16, but I’m thinking it’s a 14-1/2.

It’s the standard version, not the toolroom version. The toolroom version would have a taper attachment with a slotted connecting bar instead of the solid chip guard over the cross slide screw that this on has.

The apron clutch has been upgraded to the lever type. My 1945 14-1/2, which has a later serial number, uses a star wheel clutch.

I see a lever collet closer. If the collets are 4C, it’s a 14-1/2. The 16 used 5C collets. Later 14-1/2’s came with a bigger spindle and also used 5C collets, but that was later than mine and therefore later than the one pictured above.

It’s a six-foot bed, so I’m betting it’s a 183C.

Rick “the least common of South Bend S-series lathes” Denney
Thank you, if all else fails we could try using this information to order any parts we need.

Thank you, if all else fails we could try using this information to order any parts we need.
If all else fails, you could get out your ruler. Measure from the center of the spindle (put in a center if you have to) to the closest point on the bed. Multiply that number by 2 and you have your lathe swing. With the swing, look at the models with that swing in the catalog that John posted for you.

Back