What's new
What's new

South Bend Model A advice needed

SimonDavid

Plastic
Hello All from Sunny South Africa

I recently inherited a workshop which included a South Bend Model a and the toolings in the attached photo graphs. I would like the lathe to go to a good home.

I have been advised that it would be best to export to the US. I have an export license and am busy getting quotes for crating and shipping.

What would be the best way to go about marketing it?

Attachments

• IMG_8662.jpg
    IMG_8662.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8663.jpg
    IMG_8663.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8665.jpg
    IMG_8665.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8667.jpg
    IMG_8667.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_8668.jpg
    IMG_8668.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8669.jpg
    IMG_8669.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 33
Why not sell it locally?
South Africa is a big place with lots of industry, no?
For reasons unknown - there is no appetite for second hand machinery. One of my father's friends builds model loco's and he has advised me to not even bother trying. I have known him 40 years so have no reason to doubt him. So to my mind it makes sense to sell where there is at least some demand.

Looks like your lathe is a 10K, which might make a little more desirable than a 9" model, but I would think crating and shipping might put the price beyond the value. It does have some desirable attachments/accessories which help, but it looks like it needs some TLC.
I sold my very well outfitted 10K locally in 2021 for just under $2k. It had all the things in your picture(s) plus a full set of NOS collets. I had completely gone through it, replacing felts, bearings/bushings and gave it a good paint job as well.
You can see that lathe here:
Hope this helps.
CWC(4)

For reasons unknown - there is no appetite for second hand machinery. One of my father's friends builds model loco's and he has advised me to not even bother trying. I have known him 40 years so have no reason to doubt him. So to my mind it makes sense to sell where there is at least some demand.
I am on the contrary a big fan of used appliances, this marvel I bought almost 1,000 euros cheaper than it cost in the store, so I see no sense in buying machines for the full price when you can pay 75%

Frankly, I don't see the utility of spending more than the lathe is worth to ship it to the US, where that extra cost will have to be added onto the asking price. This means your lathe will probably never sell, especially since those lathes are readily available in the US. I really doubt that there is no market for second hand machinery in SA. I suggest that you just go ahead and test the local appetite for this type of machine.

Frankly, I don't see the utility of spending more than the lathe is worth to ship it to the US, where that extra cost will have to be added onto the asking price. This means your lathe will probably never sell, especially since those lathes are readily available in the US. I really doubt that there is no market for second hand machinery in SA. I suggest that you just go ahead and test the local appetite for this type of machine.

Thank you all

I have now established the reason there is no local appetite is the machine is geared for imperial and we use metric. I know it is a fairly easy swop, the market however is not interested.

I am waiting for the final quote but seriously doubt that crating and FOB LCL shipping will be more that $500

Currently the best offer I have had here is less than $350 - So would be work out as good deal in the US at $1000 ex shipping.

As I said I have an import / export license - and have moved much bigger items around the world (imported aviation spares) - so the shipping is not an issue.

Back