What's new
What's new

Melting stick for comparator checking id features of a a turned part.

cncmstr

Plastic
For most of my 40+yr career, I had a red/purple pencil size stick that I would melt with a lighter and press into turned id features.
Wait till it hardened and then go check features like id groove depth, width, radius.
I can not find this stuff anywhere. Did the wussie police ban it for safety reasons.
All you old timers please help me out. I need it to check thread depth of a 1.375-24 of a tube.
If not the "red/purple stick" What do you use. My friends shop uses FLEXBAR - Casting Quick-Set Putty Casting Material: 1.75 lb Assorted Containers
I don't want to spend $288.00
Thanks for your help on this one, in advance.
Kev.

There are a slew of waxes that would probably work for you at way less cost than the Flexbar stuff. Casting wax, Dop wax, Sealing wax, or Impression wax (if you google this one use the -dental filter). My gut feeling is sealing wax would be the one to try first.

There are a slew of waxes that would probably work for you at way less cost than the Flexbar stuff. Casting wax, Dop wax, Sealing wax, or Impression wax (if you google this one use the -dental filter). My gut feeling is sealing wax would be the one to try first.
Never tried it but I wonder if you couldn't just use crayons a lot of the time ? (Not on little teeny features but in general).

Assuming you have the thread plug gauge you can use it to check thread depth. Inspect the gauge on a comparator. The active profile starts at the first full profile thread viewed at the minor diameter. Measure back to the end of the gauge and subtract that length from the distance the gauge screws into the thread.

One for Marcus, I'm sure with his dental background there is something available that he knows of.

You know that stuff they put in your mouth to take an impression ? I swear it's just bathtub caulk from Home Depot, even has a little bit of that smell :D
It's the over runs, they can sell it for more because now it's medical grade.

For most of my 40+yr career, I had a red/purple pencil size stick that I would melt with a lighter and press into turned id features.
Wait till it hardened and then go check features like id groove depth, width, radius.
I can not find this stuff anywhere. Did the wussie police ban it for safety reasons.
All you old timers please help me out. I need it to check thread depth of a 1.375-24 of a tube.
If not the "red/purple stick" What do you use. My friends shop uses FLEXBAR - Casting Quick-Set Putty Casting Material: 1.75 lb Assorted Containers
I don't want to spend $288.00
Thanks for your help on this one, in advance.
Kev.
Search Google for Kerr dental impression wax.

Search Amazon for Light Body Fast Set Dental Alginate cartridge. These fit in a standard 2 part gun with disposable mixing nozzles. Sets in 3 minutes, makes high fidelity impressions that remove easily and inexpensive.

DENTAL-MAT.jpggun.jpg

This stuff will melt at the temperature of hot coffee. It's got lead and cadmium in it so don't eat it. The old brand name of it was Cerrosafe but it's also similar to Wood's metal. You can use it over and over for a long time.
https://www.mcmaster.com/product/8921K22
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerrosafe

Cerrosafe is a fusible alloy with a low melting point. It is a non-eutectic mixture consisting of 42.5% bismuth, 37.7% lead, 11.3% tin, and 8.5% cadmium that melts between 158 °F (70 °C) and 190 °F (88 °C). It is useful for making reference castings whose dimensions can be correlated to those of the mold or other template due to its well-known thermal expansion properties during cooling. The alloy contracts during the first 30 minutes, allowing easy removal from a mold, then expands during the next 30 minutes to return to the exact original size. It then continues expanding at a known rate for 200 hours, allowing conversion of measurements of the casting back to those of the mold.

Back