What's new
What's new

Mitsubishi Drive Model Designation

Chips Everywhere

Cast Iron
One of my drives sprung a leak and let out all the magic white smoke that makes the drive tick. I'd like to try to source a spare while Mitsubishi fixes the drive. In my search, I've come across drives that meet the model I am looking for, but the last few letters don't match up.

Example of a drive model number and the letters I am referring to: FR-SFJ-2-7.5k B or FR-SGJ-2-5.5K BR. I've come across drives that have these letters: ARC, AR, AD, B, BR, OR etc.

Do these designate what card is installed on the drive and what features the drive has or are they revisions? Can someone please clarify what the last letters mean on the drive and are they compatible so long as the "base" model is the same? Can drives be reconfigured, example a B turned into a BR?

Last but not least, what are the retrofit options or control compatibility? For example a T2 or T32 control using a drive from a T+. I'm assuming Mazak sells an update kit but I don't even want to think about how much they want for it.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what's Mitsubishi's cost and turn around time?

I've used these guys in the past and theirs was $1850 w/o core returned and 3 days time.
CNC Drive Docs
Around 4k.

I’ve had poor luck with drive repair from other shops, other than Mitsubishi themselves. Not saying the ones you listed are bad.

I’ve only had to repair one drive so far, but it ended up being more expensive than sending it out to Mits in the first place after having to send it to multiple shops. Others with more experience can chime in, but from what I understand Mits doesn’t sell it’s proprietary chips to anyone, so drive repair can get tricky once those parts need replacement.

You could probably call MEAU (or find a manual online?) to find out what the last letters in the drive P/N string stand for.

Usually the last letters are just the revision of the drive, and if so, the different letters should be compatible.

Different early letters in the P/N string could be different drives altogether, so it pays to make sure before spending the money.

Pay attention to the KW rating of course!

ToolCat

Around 4k.

I’ve had poor luck with drive repair from other shops, other than Mitsubishi themselves. Not saying the ones you listed are bad.

I’ve only had to repair one drive so far, but it ended up being more expensive than sending it out to Mits in the first place after having to send it to multiple shops. Others with more experience can chime in, but from what I understand Mits doesn’t sell it’s proprietary chips to anyone, so drive repair can get tricky once those parts need replacement.
For a factory refurb on a spindle drive, that doesn't sound too bad.

Spoke to them today. Looks like the last letters on the right are different “options” the drive may have, like additional cards that mount onto the drive to provide more features.

The last 3 digits on a drive S/N apear to be revision, programs and configurations.

One thing to note, it seems that you can’t just bolt an additional card to add features to the drive.

Take this info with a grain of salt and verify it because they lost me a couple times 😂

Back