What's new
What's new

Mori Seiki SL-1B any value these days?

Corn

Aluminum
Hi,

There might be possibility to get my hands on old NC lathe Mori Seiki SL-1B manuf. 1986 with Fanuc 10TF controller. Controller doesn’t have G70, G71, G72 and G73 commands installed. Also there is no through hole in chuck spindle. Machine should be in working order. My question is, whether this kind of old lathe is nowadays useful or worth any more than scrap metal? Would it be possible to somehow retrofit the missing G commands?

Thank you in advance

They are really cute, sturdy as hell, but only good for very small parts ... if you need to make small parts, grab it.

You don't need all that other shit, just write your own programs. No hole through the spindle doesn't sound right tho ... could just be the chuck that's currently mounted ?

Those things are awesome. One of the best little lathes ever made.

They're tiny. Great for 2nd ops.

10T is a good control, extremely reliable.

I'm not sure what 10TF is. I think they only made 3 versions of the 10 and there never was an F.

1986 is probably yellow cap DC servos. They're fine on a lathe.

If by some chance it has red cap AC servos then it's significantly faster and similar in performance to a new machine.

@Corn The machine is still supported by Mori for parts and is dead simple to service.
Fanuc still supports the 10T control.
If it doesn't have the cycles, the option is easily added for cheap.
If it is in serviceable condition without major needs, and is cheap enough, grab it.
It can make money.
BTW, the chuck can easily be replaced.

There’s gotta be a thru hole in the spindle. It may have a plug with an O-ring on the chuck side. I’ve got these on my lathes to prevent coolant pouring out the end of the draw tube.

Stick something long like a length of round bar through the back and tap the plug out.

I’d be very surprised if it doesn’t have a hydraulic chuck. If it’s hydraulic it’s got a thru bore.

I've had cnc lathes with solid chucks. Even one with a big thru hole. The larger solid chuck machine i had just had a 1.5" solid rod to the actuator instead of a drawtube.

I'd think sl1 would have around a 1" thru hole.

Don't worry if it has FAPT or not- the CNC side is exactly like a regular 10 control. FAPT is cute but is kinda clunky unless you can teach yourself Japanenglish. All the SL0-1-2-3-4-5 series Mori's are rock solid machines if they have not been totally beat to death, and Mori still stocks parts for them. regarding the thru hole- pretty sure all SL1s have tailstocks and there was not a chucker version of an SL1. As Garwood said above, it may have a dead front chuck on it, but the thru hole is there- lost of used chucks and cylinders out there for these machines. Most of them either ran collet chucks or 6" jaw chucks.

This machine was one we considered back in the day. The fact that it was really a chucker only was a real limitation. As for the 10TF it was supposed to be fitted to a Victor TNS1A that we eventually bought but we were told "It's too large to fit to the machine". Really. So the Victor ended up with the Fanuc OTA control. Never got to experience FAPT...

As for the 10TF it was supposed to be fitted to a Victor TNS1A that we eventually bought but we were told "It's too large to fit to the machine". Really. So the Victor ended up with the Fanuc OTA control. Never got to experience FAPT...
The FS10 control was available with a 14" colour monitor, or a 9" Mono Colour Monitor. If anything about the FS10 control was too large to fit on a machine, it would be the 14" monitor. The editing function and cursor movement of the 14" monitor was painfully slow; I mean really slow, but a FS10 controk with the mono 9" momitor was just fine.

FAPT was about the best lathe conversational system going around at the time. The resulting program was complete "G" code, which could be used on any other machine that had similar M codes and used ISO G Code.

Regards,

Bill

Back