What's new
What's new

My machine will pump coolant then it will stop and run a cycle with no coolant. Pleas Help

samfairfax

Plastic
Greeting y'all

So i have a Takamaz lathe machine and this morning it was running smoothly with the coolant on however from time to time it'll run a whole cycle with the coolant not being discharged.

Any help or Suggestions would be greatly apricated !

Is it actually turned off?, I thought I had an issue like this before and it was just the coolant got too low, so the pump was pumping nothing for a run, until it got caught up on the refilling the sump.
edit: also I've seen it happen worse if you have a coolant pump filter that is clogged.

i did clean the coolant filters and filled the tank. when the coolant isn't discharged it isn't discharged at all (if there was anything clogged it wouldn't work perfectly on the next cycle) not even the pump is working i believe.

i did clean the coolant filters and filled the tank. when the coolant isn't discharged it isn't discharged at all (if there was anything clogged it wouldn't work perfectly on the next cycle) not even the pump is working i believe.
Does the machine say its on, is the fan blade spinning if their is one, and do you have voltage? If you have correct voltage on all legs pump might be going out.

Yes the machine says it's on and the M codes are there. my machine runs only one program and it's two spindles. the issue is that sometimes the right side wont discharge coolant as it machines then it would.

Yes the machine says it's on and the M codes are there. my machine runs only one program and it's two spindles. the issue is that sometimes the right side wont discharge coolant as it machines then it would.
So does it have a coolant pump for each side?
Are your lines clogged?

yes it does have a pump for each side. the lines are not clogged and that's what driving me crazy!

yes it does have a pump for each side. the lines are not clogged and that's what driving me crazy!
Well its easier to start at the end, So when its not working is the pump spinning?, When it isn't working, does it have voltage on every leg, this is where I would start, and work inward.
You can come from the other end also, does the program have correct gcode for that pump, is that pump output being turned on at the control, .....

You said it's a twin spindle with two coolant pumps. They share the same tank. Is there a divider in the tank between the two pumps? It'll likely be a screen type of thing. Maybe it's not letting coolant back to the 2nd pump?
I forgot this one, we had this actually, ended up just cutting a huge notch in the screens out of the sump, sick of trying to clean it.

I'm prolly with H16 the most here.

It does sound most likely to be low coolant, but if that is absolutely not it, then as H16 sorta eludes to, it could be a worn motor starter, and you are single phasing the pump. Is this an older machine?

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

You can also play follow the pump, by swapping the plugs if they are the same, lets you know if the machine part of the deal is correct or not.

Does the pump actually come on? I have an older lathe in my shop that I have to constantly blow air through the lines because the filter gets clogged and small crap gets into the lines and blocks off the flow.

Does the pump actually come on? I have an older lathe in my shop that I have to constantly blow air through the lines because the filter gets clogged and small crap gets into the lines and blocks off the flow.

I have a Swiss that I run oil in, but it had been running coolant before I got it.
Not sure if that makes a difference or not, but I was noting a headwall line varying in pres/volume, so I started working my way upstream - looking for something, only to find a few chunks up in the square tubing on the headwall it'self!

Took a bit to git'm all flushed out of there.
Not seen that before....

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I stripped the pump on my lathe when it stopped delivering pressure and it was full of long plastic stringers from the previous owner. Would start with reasonable pressure but as soon as you were not there the thing would stop. I'm sure that thing knew when you were not watching it.

I have a Swiss that I run oil in, but it had been running coolant before I got it.
Not sure if that makes a difference or not, but I was noting a headwall line varying in pres/volume, so I started working my way upstream - looking for something, only to find a few chunks up in the square tubing on the headwall it'self!

Took a bit to git'm all flushed out of there.
Not seen that before....

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
Yep. Coolant in some machines that not changed frequently develops bacterial chunks in it. And those chunks get caught in the lines. My lathe that has the coolant clogging issues I tend to put Triadine in it with a 1/2 cup bleach and cycle the coolant pump for an hour. Chunks disappear. But regardless I find that most shops dont change out their coolant regularly.

Yep. Coolant in some machines that not changed frequently develops bacterial chunks in it. And those chunks get caught in the lines. My lathe that has the coolant clogging issues I tend to put Triadine in it with a 1/2 cup bleach and cycle the coolant pump for an hour. Chunks disappear. But regardless I find that most shops dont change out their coolant regularly.
Bro that's nasty, I wouldn't even run a machine like that, it would be coolant change time. I have a small shop, only two of us and 5 machines, and I still bought a $9,000 Freddy vac.
Gotta keep your coolant maintained peeps :cheers:

edit: I dont change coolant usually until around 4 year mark, maintenance baby! :D

Last edited:
Bro that's nasty, I wouldn't even run a machine like that, it would be coolant change time. I have a small shop, only two of us and 5 machines, and I still bought a $9,000 Freddy vac.
Gotta keep your coolant maintained peeps :cheers:

edit: I dont change coolant usually until around 4 year mark, maintenance baby! :D
There are different types of coolant. I tend to prefer synthetic coolant. But there is also Organic coolant. The Organic Coolant tends to grow bacteria.

Back