What's new
What's new

New HAAS UMC 1500 "Duo" release Q3 2020

Hi bryan_machine:
You asked: "Also, they talk about 4micron Rz, which is 160microinch - is that a common level of finish for a mold?"

A 160 microinch finish is what I'd expect from a bandsaw.
They must have slipped a decimal place and meant 0.4 micron or 16 microinch.
That would be brag worthy for a milled finish and is in the range you'd want for an injection mold core.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

If you want something that fits your needs exactly, Fryer might be a good choice. I only have a lathe, so it's a whole different ballpark, but they build to order and will do almost anything you want. They will re-arrange doors, tweak clearances, seal it for graphite work, or even put a laser on it. Probably a little less iron than the big boys, but very capable.

-Gene

I gotta admit FRYER does have some good things going on. Taiwanese iron / literal castings that they trick out in the USA. Add Siemens controls and mechatronics and fine fit/ joints.

They have some really interesting large table B axis mills. And the tilting heads are claimed really decent accuracy (of the order of a few arc seconds).

Decent seeming spindles on some of their smaller machines. Nice hands on turning centers for prototype work too.

I think Pmack is looking for something more moldy/ more than moldish in 5 axis but not necessarily makino.

I think Synthetic (epoxy granite) based machine have a lot offer in the future for surface finish and higher tolerances in a compact form. Even some machine tools from Knuth are coming with synthetic granite (not cheap). Not always a meaningful or useful match.

Hi bryan_machine:
You asked: "Also, they talk about 4micron Rz, which is 160microinch - is that a common level of finish for a mold?"

A 160 microinch finish is what I'd expect from a bandsaw.
They must have slipped a decimal place and meant 0.4 micron or 16 microinch.
That would be brag worthy for a milled finish and is in the range you'd want for an injection mold core.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Yup the slippery radix strikes again ! (product literature).

I think Pmack is looking for something more moldy/ more than moldish in 5 axis but not necessarily makino.

What I would like to have is a VF2 sized 5ax that is capable of holding sub .001 true positions from multiple indexed surfaces in hardened 17-4 without fighting thermal issues. Think Doosan DMN200/5ax but with true full 5 capability. The 350/5ax is available with the Fanuc 31iB5, but not the 200. Rarely we need true 5 simultaneous, but when we do it would be nice to have.

I don't really want to have to step up to a 300-350mm platter, because a machine that weighs over 15000lbs is going to be an issue on my current slab. I guess I will have to step my foundation game up if/when I pull the trigger.

^^^ Just for completeness published March 17th … "First Look" ~ except it's animation.

I want one of them invisible ghost robots they show in the video... Or are Jedi powers required to go from Ops 20 to ops 30 ?

It's an animation but just jones'ing to see the design of castings on this machine, is it the same as the NEW 750 rebooted and they just stretched it a bit in X ?

What I would like to have is a VF2 sized 5ax that is capable of holding sub .001 true positions from multiple indexed surfaces in hardened 17-4 without fighting thermal issues. Think Doosan DMN200/5ax but with true full 5 capability. The 350/5ax is available with the Fanuc 31iB5, but not the 200. Rarely we need true 5 simultaneous, but when we do it would be nice to have.

I don't really want to have to step up to a 300-350mm platter, because a machine that weighs over 15000lbs is going to be an issue on my current slab. I guess I will have to step my foundation game up if/when I pull the trigger.

MB 450U - Methods Machine Tools

^^^ Methods have the newer smaller MB 450 U

5 arc second machine should hold two tenths volumetrically (linear scales too).

The PDF they link to is for the wrong machine and they have the weight of the machine wrong too.

And I think they have the table dimensions wrong on it too...

AND have some of the wrong pictures too...

(I think they have been advertising this machine on PM forum banners etc. ).

New Methods 5-Axis Bridge-Type Machining Center Offers High Performance and Value | IndMacDig | Industrial Machinery Digest

^^^ This seems a little more accurate ~ ish -ish, info wise on the MB 450 U

weighs 13,000 lbs (smaller table).

Back