What's new
What's new

New Power Chuck has a run out, what could be wrong?

Where are you located. I am sure there is someone near you that can talk you through this, I am not trying to be nasty but this problem seems a little above your pay grade.

I've noticed people are kind of bonky about chucks here but I'd get better than twenty for sure ... put the jaws in the best place and drag out the toolpost grinder, touch 'em up and bob's yer uncle. This crap with "take the part out and turn it around", where did they learn machining ?
Toolpost grinder is not even required.

Hard jaws are trivial to bore with a CBN insert in a rigid bar. The trickiest part is figuring out how to preload the jaws as the shape of them makes it more difficult that with soft jaws.

I usually use a ring with three pins that locate in the screw holes of the jaws, and just turn the pressure down pretty low.

If the chuck is repeatable regrind the hard jaws. If it's not buy a better quality chuck. Indeed as Greg said use a ring with 3 pins to preload the jaws when regrinding.
Be sure you check the alignment of the machine after such a hard crash. If you don't now how call someone who does.

I've exaggerated of course, but the point was that expecting no runout with hard jaws on a hydraulic chuck is nuts.
It's not that I'm not expecting run out I just was not expecting to be able to see it with the naked eye for example here is a video of me machining a 16mm stainless steel rod with hard jaws, if I attempted to do this now with the same hard jaws on the new chuck I'd never be able to to do this as my holes wouldn't be center, my Also here is the link to the youtube video.

Where are you located. I am sure there is someone near you that can talk you through this, I am not trying to be nasty but this problem seems a little above your pay grade.
I'm all the way in south Africa, I absolutely do agree that this is above my pay grade I'm actually a civil engineer by profession but somehow found myself in the CNC business. I've been constantly in talks with the supplier and trying to resolve this, hence why I ended up opening an account here, the person that services my machine also insists there is an error with the chuck master jaws.

I'm all the way in south Africa, I absolutely do agree that this is above my pay grade I'm actually a civil engineer by profession but somehow found myself in the CNC business. I've been constantly in talks with the supplier and trying to resolve this, hence why I ended up opening an account here, the person that services my machine also insists there is an error with the chuck master jaws.
Where in South Africa.

Toolpost grinder is not even required.

Hard jaws are trivial to bore with a CBN insert in a rigid bar. The trickiest part is figuring out how to preload the jaws as the shape of them makes it more difficult that with soft jaws.

I usually use a ring with three pins that locate in the screw holes of the jaws, and just turn the pressure down pretty low.
Thank you for the input I'm inadvertently learning a lot in this thread with regards to cnc machining.

If the chuck is repeatable regrind the hard jaws. If it's not buy a better quality chuck. Indeed as Greg said use a ring with 3 pins to preload the jaws when regrinding.
Be sure you check the alignment of the machine after such a hard crash. If you don't now how call someone who does.
I do own a jaw boring ring, I will ask for the service technician to check once more if there is perhaps an underlying problem elsewhere too, on the upside the supplier is bringing a new set of master jaws and new hard jaws to test himself, hoping it all gets resolved by then I'm already down the equivalent of $10k in repairing the machine (chuck and turret replacement), I did clock the internal wedge plunger (measured on the part i marked with blue and the the finger dial gauge gave a total reading of 0.02mm (0.01mm on each side of the zero point line.)

Attachments

• 1697795634626.png
    1697795634626.png
    212.8 KB · Views: 9
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 9
I was hoping Durban so I could hook you up with someone that I know. If you want to PM me your number I can call you and talk you through it.

Back