What's new
What's new

Okuma Z0 offsets for main and sub

zschary

Aluminum
i have a okuma lathe with a sub spindle and p200l control, I am brand new to this control..
what strategy works best for setting the main z offset for the part, as well as a G55 (fanuc) type 0 offset for programing the sub?
will do spindle transfers and machine on the sub etc... I tend to run quite a few diff types of parts and not huge quantity, I will use CAM, so want to set up a good way to go about doing this.. the machine does have a touch setter.. Im sure there are a few ways to do this on the control? What are the favorites? Do all offsets come from the "zero main tool" i am reading about in the manual...? thanks in advance

I always zero my turret face to the body of my chuck(s). No tools, jaws, collets involved. There is no G55 for the sub spindle. I also zero my sub chuck to the main to make part transfers easy to calculate where to grip from.

I always zero my turret face to the body of my chuck(s). No tools, jaws, collets involved. There is no G55 for the sub spindle. I also zero my sub chuck to the main to make part transfers easy to calculate where to grip from.
how does that work with a touch setter? You use one? so the 0 position off the main spindle 0 tool and all tools for sub based off that?

I simply touch my Sub facing tools off to the part in the sub and add 16 to the Tool Offset number that would be used by a Main facing tool. Say Main T0505 and sub T0521.

My Sub B I'll either manually find it's transfer Position and program that from B home. Or Touch off B jaws to the Main part and enter that number into the global work offset or the one I'm working in. Then program it's position in Z as you would any tool. Of course all turning and live milling and drilling on the sub will be done with the Sub and Home Position. That may not be totally practical on a long travel machine. My experience is with a very tight work envelope. Like breath wrong and you'll bump into something.

yes.. 13engines that sub is close, i like that but i need to watch it, i am coming from a really long travel machine.. i do a bunch of setups and if i am going to rely on the sub i want to try to get it set up with the setter.. I like the idea just having to touch the "master" Z0 position for all tools on the sub with some kind of fixture position instead of each tool i use each time.. then yes in cam i will use the t051 method you mentioned.. Its the fixture position for the sub i need to know in okuma language.. I was using a g54 and g55 before

Back