What's new
What's new

Opinions for tolerance required on a "REAM" Callout?

I'm sorry you guys that are reminiscing about the good old days. :D Indecipherable drawings on Beer coasters, note paper, a shitty dirty old part, Bearing fits where the Bearings were blown out the side!!! Oh yeah I miss that. :nutter: Some hack with a pencil scribbled out the old and re-wrote new notes. Let alone realizing they made a mistake and scribbled out the new ones and re-wrote the old ones. Coffee mug ring on it. I don't miss that shit at all. I get what you're saying, but lets remember the past for what it is.

CAD files have no ketchup stains on them. They NEVER been dropped on the floor and walked on. I like working from a paper Drawing/Print. Just not the ones drawn with a Quill and Ink.

R

A little off topic, but related to what Rob is saying (good old days/long time ago/etc). I am starting to get annoyed with guys who brag about having 30-40-50 years of experience. I'm getting on 20 years myself, but I am realizing recently that the first 10-15 years isn't all that relative anymore. Yes, I learned the fundamentals by working with manual machines and such, but it is becoming less 'important' at each new job that doesn't have manual machines, or doesn't want me using them. :soapbox:

I bet if a print said

"ream for slip fit with 1/2" pin"

75% of machinists wouldn't have a clue what that meant and how to go about achieving a slip fit, or even choosing the right diameter reamer to begin with.

Asking for a "light press fit would probably cause a complete melt down for most machinists"

What kind of machinists do you work with?? :D
Although if I saw the first note about 1/2" pin I would ask them (someone) to clarify what type of "pin" they are talking about.

I've been in the prototype and r&d aerospace machining business for my career, so I guess I've been around some of the best machinists in the industry. Last place I worked they figured maybe 1 in 10 machinists would last more than a few days before being let go:eek:, that applied to both manual and CNC machinists.

What was good about most of our parts we made was if for instance somebody was supposed to make a .250 reamed hole a "light press fit" and maybe for whatever reason maybe ended up with a .252" dia hole (it happens to the best of us) then the usual answer from the engineer would be " open it up to get a light press fit with a .3125 pin, and try not to f*** it up this time"

I'm sorry you guys that are reminiscing about the good old days. :D Indecipherable drawings on Beer coasters, note paper, a shitty dirty old part, Bearing fits where the Bearings were blown out the side!!! Oh yeah I miss that. :nutter: Some hack with a pencil scribbled out the old and re-wrote new notes. Let alone realizing they made a mistake and scribbled out the new ones and re-wrote the old ones. Coffee mug ring on it. I don't miss that shit at all. I get what you're saying, but lets remember the past for what it is.

CAD files have no ketchup stains on them. They NEVER been dropped on the floor and walked on. I like working from a paper Drawing/Print. Just not the ones drawn with a Quill and Ink.

R

Wait just a hot second! Are you trying to tell me that the primary purpose of a paper print in a machine shop is not as a chip & coolant shield? Blasphemy!

:crazy:

I said;"I like paper prints".

Though I laminate my Masters, and D scales. Then print out a rendering of it for the shop.

I also preferred a paper print. If I did not have one I make one. In my opinion it always easier to turn around and look at the print rather than a computer. I would always quick scan the print looking for obvious errors. If later on in making the part I found something, I would then pull it up on the computer and find what I was looking for. Just my preference.

Back