What's new
What's new

OT - Business opportunity for making improved replacement parts

PackardV8

Hot Rolled
Our son bought a Swedish Cake electric motorcycle and it's pretty cool. However, on the first off-road ride, the rear license/turn signal bracket snapped in half with a much less severe impact than Japanese off-road bikes routinely survive. At first glance, at 2 mm thick, the bracket should have been strong enough, so I thought it must be cast aluminum, as it broke so easily. Turned out to be steel; the problem is a design flaw which has two narrow sections on either side of the long rectangular slot at the top and the material is much too hard and brittle.

I used the orignal as a pattern to make a stronger part out of 18-gauge stainless sheet, tapering it to the bottom, so as to eliminate the original weak points.

Being a fan of the belt-and-suspenders design school, I decided to bolt the original, now two pieces, behind the stainless as reinforcement. I used the original holes as a guide to drill the stainless, but decided it would be stronger with one new hole and bolt at the top of the original bottom half, up near the break.

When I centerpunched and started drilling, the OEM piece smoked a new titanium coated 17/64" bit; that bracket is harder than the hubs-of-hell. I finally got a hole through it, but cannot understand how they got all the original holes, a ninety-degree and a thirty-degree bend in such a hard, brittle piece of steel. It obviously won't bend in its current state and who'd heat treat and harden a license plate bracket?

They say *The product photo might not reflect the actual kit." and it doesn't but ours is similar but longer on the bottom. and BTW, the replacement part is $83. No one in his right mind would see the original break that easily and spend $83 to do it again next ride.

657_2d9344be31-sp0113-xxl.jpg

jack vines​

Last edited:
Our son bought a Swedish Cake electric motorcycle and it's pretty cool. However, on the first off-road ride, the rear license/turn signal bracket snapped in half with a much less severe impact than Japanese off-road bikes routinely survive. At first glance, at 2 mm thick, the bracket should have been strong enough, so I thought it must be cast aluminum, as it broke so easily. Turned out to be steel; the problem is a design flaw which has two narrow sections on either side of the long rectangular slot at the top and the material is much too hard and brittle.

I used the orignal as a pattern to make a stronger part out of 18-gauge stainless sheet, tapering it to the bottom, so as to eliminate the original weak points.

Being a fan of the belt-and-suspenders design school, I decided to bolt the original, now two pieces, behind the stainless as reinforcement. I used the original holes as a guide to drill the stainless, but decided it would be stronger with one new hole and bolt at the top of the original bottom half, up near the break.

When I centerpunched and started drilling, the OEM piece smoked a new titanium coated 17/64" bit; that bracket is harder than the hubs-of-hell. I finally got a hole through it, but cannot understand how they got all the original holes, a ninety-degree and a thirty-degree bend in such a hard, brittle piece of steel. It obviously won't bend in its current state and who'd heat treat and harden a license plate bracket?

They say *The product photo might not reflect the actual kit." and it doesn't but ours is similar but longer on the bottom. and BTW, the replacement part is $83. No one in his right mind would see the original break that easily and spend $83 to do it again next ride.

657_2d9344be31-sp0113-xxl.jpg

jack vines​

I would be surprised if that material is very hard at all. It could be your drill bit. I’ve noticed that there are tons of cheap drills coming from China that are labeled “Titanium Coated” that are inferior bits coated with a flash of titanium nitride to give them a pretty gold color and make them easier to market. TiN is good stuff, but if it is applied to a junk substrate it’s pretty worthless. What brand was your drill bit?

I would be surprised if that material is very hard at all. It could be your drill bit. I’ve noticed that there are tons of cheap drills coming from China that are labeled “Titanium Coated” that are inferior bits coated with a flash of titanium nitride to give them a pretty gold color and make them easier to market. TiN is good stuff, but if it is applied to a junk substrate it’s pretty worthless. What brand was your drill bit?
Guarantee it wasn't the drill bit. The new one which smoked was a Vermont American. I had to go through two more USA bits, trying different speeds and pressures, to get a hole in a 1/8" piece of steel; it was that hard.

jack vines

I would be surprised if that material is very hard at all. It could be your drill bit. I’ve noticed that there are tons of cheap drills coming from China that are labeled “Titanium Coated” that are inferior bits coated with a flash of titanium nitride to give them a pretty gold color and make them easier to market.
Oh you've noticed that, have you ? Tons, eh ? So you went to all the tool supppliers in the state with a rockwell tester and a scale and checked their drill bits ? And you took your materials analysis kit with you so you could check the material ? and after thirty or forty years of drilling holes, we're too stupid to see when a drill bit is flaky, so we need your advanced help ?

Mostly, you just pulled this out your ass. You're making this crap up, just like in the old days people 'noticed' goody hawkins was a witch because she gave their cow the evil eye and the milk soured. Right.

E-bike shop explodes and burns out whole city block!.......not your man ,I hope!
I just about shat myself when I saw that in the news because he is in the same complex as me. But no it wasn't him. He's pretty switched on with the Ebikes and doesn't sell cheap shit.

I have repaired a few brackets for dirt bikes, a surprising amount are “hard” steel. I am guessing it is 41xx as it is common material on the bike. No company makes enough bikes to cost out cheaper material for a few parts.
Bent in a tight brake with no deburred or haz removed leaves stress fractures from the factory. And hard material.
Almost always easier to fabricate one out of mild steel about the same thickness. You will not chase all the cracks out of the original.
Drill it like stainless, slow rpm high feed rate with a known brand drill bit in a press. Milwaukee bits are Chinese, ti coated- decent and available at Lowe’s depot. Not cheap, cheaper than getting a few drillco or Vikings after you factor in shipping and time.

Guarantee it wasn't the drill bit. The new one which smoked was a Vermont American. I had to go through two more USA bits, trying different speeds and pressures, to get a hole in a 1/8" piece of steel; it was that hard.

jack vines
I would have to wonder how they bent it if it was so hard.

Back