What's new
What's new

OT fuel oil flow count/flow measurement

well concidering fuel stations still dip the tanks for an accurate reading. its probably the best way. fuel flow meters for that low of a flow aren't too common.

why not just add a tube to the side of the tank, look at the level and have markings known to volume amounts.

Actually fluel flow rates through nozzles is very sensitive to changing ambient conditions. I am running a Hago siphon nozzle made for a commercial boiler system which is sensitive to fuel pressure (is the tank head height 4 feet full or4” near empty?), as well as compressed air pressure since the nozzle siphons due to the compressed air stream. Finally combustion air velocity and pressure also affect flow rates. I have worked out ways to keep those factors nearly constant. But flow rates even in a simple drip burner setup will depend on head pressure which will vary depending on tank fullness. The meter system I linked shows both instantaneous flow rate and total volume metered to that point and can also turn off flow after a certain time or volume total.

Denis

My experience is with the residential / smaller burners with positive pressure pumps and nozzles where the firing rate is pretty predictable. I guess the few that have dual firing rates would add another variable to account for.

Back