What's new
What's new

Ot...ship hits bridge

The video is terrifying. I just hope they can find all the bodies.

The speculations seem to be a power outage caused loss of control. I'm shocked there wasn't some sort of back up to control critical functions.

The video is terrifying. I just hope they can find all the bodies.

The speculations seem to be a power outage caused loss of control. I'm shocked there wasn't some sort of back up to control critical functions.
In my Un-expert opinion I believe that to be the case.

Below is radar animation of ships in the region as the container ship left its berth and hit the bridge. Two tugs assist in getting the ship turned 180* then depart to elsewhere once the ship is on course. It was reported that the ship lost power, and lights on the ship did go out on all the various videos. Then shortly before impact several vessels are shown racing toward the ship as it impacts the bridge pile.

I'm no expert, but I'd bet the actual case is some variation of that.

I suspect it was what used to be called an 'accident' when such things still existed.

That said, it does look like the ship took a last minute turn that aimed it directly at the bridge pillar.

One mook on the TV (a reporter) was indignant that bridges aren't built to withstand such a hit. I presume this same mook is the type who votes for millions of tax dollars going to all sorts of more important things like indigenous studies, welfare, and the support of folk dancing in Lithuania.

One thing is for sure.....life will go on and in a few years this will be nothing but a minor incident that hardly anyone remembers. That, and a bunch of lawyers and study-ers will make lots of money off it.

The video shows it took out one of the main support piers. Video also shows exhaust is very coal black smoke. Something is wrong with the engine. I assume a giant diesel engine.
Dali was built in 2015 by Hyundai and was flying a Singapore flag.
BillD

Last edited:
Smoke ... engine problem, or did they have it at '11' trying to stop?
Since the smoke starts after their first power failure, I'm thinking they were trying to stop as soon as the power came back on. I'm not a mariner but I imagine going full reverse is going to put quite a load on the engine.

That had to have been a gut wrenching experience for the crew. It's like watching a train wreck, but in slow motion, watching your efforts to stop it fail and the extent of the damage keep building.

Back