What's new
What's new

Paint gun for spraying epoxy

Cole2534

Diamond
I'd like to buy a cheap-ish paint gun for spraying 2-part epoxy paints like S-W Macropoxy 646. I want 20-32oz cup, HVLP, and that's where my knowledge stops.

Anyone have tips or suggestions?

We always wanted the big bucks guns for detail painting, like a iwata RG3,
but we found you could buy the cheap o knock off, made of chinesium metal that would wear out quick.
We would buy the cheapo, paint the what ever, for us custom automotive interiors.
and throw it away each time.

Just to keep that in mind. disposable guns! Espeshly for 2 part epoxy paint.

Stuffs thick also, check the recommendation sheet from supplier, somewhere between 1.4 - 2.2 million meters tip size I would think.

Last edited:
Sprayed a fair few cans of epoxy primer over the years. Our shop had a mixed bag ranging from up to date HVLP guns to some seriously old school guns that dated about back to the first guy putting a racing stripe onna dinosaur!

Buy what you can get local support and parts for. Nozzles, needles, and filters for the cups, come to mind as consumables.

Buy a bucket of gun wash, and use it faithfully. Buy some of the approved diluent or thinner.

While I can appreciate the throwaway aspect of the cheap guns, I cannot really see that as a great solution, if you paint regularly.

I used to keep a drill index of the smaller number size drills (#61-#80) around, as they worked a treat for cleaning out the odd air passage that got blocked up.

Sprayed a fair few cans of epoxy primer over the years. Our shop had a mixed bag ranging from up to date HVLP guns to some seriously old school guns that dated about back to the first guy putting a racing stripe onna dinosaur!

Buy what you can get local support and parts for. Nozzles, needles, and filters for the cups, come to mind as consumables.

Buy a bucket of gun wash, and use it faithfully. Buy some of the approved diluent or thinner.

While I can appreciate the throwaway aspect of the cheap guns, I cannot really see that as a great solution, if you paint regularly.

I used to keep a drill index of the smaller number size drills (#61-#80) around, as they worked a treat for cleaning out the odd air passage that got blocked up.
Another good tool for cleaning small passage ways is an oxy-aetylene tip cleaner set.

The SW data page suggests a Devillbiss MBC 510 704E gun which has a 1.8mm nozzle. So long as I get a gun with that nozzle size I should be good to go?

Should be ok, some with a 1.8 also come with a 2.2 just in case you dont thin it enough.
Its a siphon feed, heavy weight gun for laquers and latex, and oatmeal, wheathearts.... 🤣

Hard to beat the $24 green harbor freight gun. Works well. I wouldn't use it to spray pearls and candies, but it leaves a good finish and it really economical with paint. I've used it with Macropoxy, Acrolon, Imron, primers of all kind.

When I was running the rebuilding shop we used the compression air gun at first but we didn't have a paint booth so it was an overstay mess. Then I bought a Wagner Airless and it worked 90 % better. Had to mask all the bare metal. On machines some only wanted them brush and foam rolled paint on. That worked good too.cheaper too, less labor.

There are expensive guns for spraying 2 part materials. We looked at a 2 part 15 second cure material for coating some products.

The gun mixed the 2 parts out in the air inside a kind of cup, or recess, on the nozzle where the air also came through to carry the spray. They were never mixed inside of any tube etc in the gun.

Whenever spraying was stopped, a plunger came out and pushed any remaining material out of the mixing cup area, if any had stuck to it.

It was pretty slick, and worked well. We ended up not using the stuff, though, one of the components was an isocyanate, and it required positive pressure masks etc. Management did not want to deal with that.

Simple answer
Black Widow 1.7 harbor Freight. $180
I run Sata Digital guns and needed something "inexpensive" for a job.
Actually, very impressed with the BW, it holds a good pattern and the air, fan, paint adjustments actually do something, I mean they actually adjust the gun.
Made in Tiawan
Have used them now for about 6 months......will continue.
I am doing customers work with these guns, so finish is important.

spraying 2-part epoxy paints
Have you ever painted with epoxy?
Your success will depend on your proper reducing, etc of the paint.
Yes the gun is important, but half the setup is proper prep.
Base prep along with the proper primer will make /break the job.
Just depends how fussy you are.

Have you ever painted with epoxy?
Your success will depend on your proper reducing, etc of the paint.
Yes the gun is important, but half the setup is proper prep.
Base prep along with the proper primer will make /break the job.
Just depends how fussy you are.
Yes. It always looks like I painted it with a dirt rake, but I don't reduce it.

Maybe I should?

Back