What's new
What's new

Potential Scrap Machine Tools !

machinistsg91

Plastic
I'd like to start by establishing that I DO NOT CONSIDER ANY WORKING MACHINE TO BE "SCRAP" !

I don't have any shop space much less any thought starting a machine shop at this moment.
A plant in my area is intended to be shut down in the next year.

how profitable would it be if I were to buy up some of the machine tools for " pennies on the dollar " and transport them up to a local scrap yard ?

I would like to add that i have transportation costs covered by a friend who owns a flat bed tractor trailer , and a family member who has his own scrap yard who i anticipate getting the most dollar per pound of metal.

Its just a thought , maybe someone on this forum has done the same ? or considered it at one point....

Thank you for your input

uhh..., ask your family member what he's willing to pay you per pound for cast iron? Why are you asking strangers on the internet? I scrapped a 1930's era cylindrical grinder and an old horizontal mill on separate occasions. The deal I made with the trucker both times was get paid at the scrap yard and leave me out of it.
Ever seen a guy that makes a living on selling scrap metal? I don't think they do too well.

Latest price I see for iron is 30c/kg.....thats $300 Oz /ton ,or 200US /ton..........I scrapped 50 ton of my collection when I sold the yard ....at that time it was $400/ton ,and IMHO ,when people are offering you silly low prices for machines ,then scrap them.......Transport cost was zero ,as the scrap yard supplies a bin ,and provided you put 5 ton+ in it ,no charge............One of my favourites is ...."How much is that crank grinder ?" ..."I reckon its 5 ton ,so I want $2000 for it "......." I offer you $1000 for it"......."I just said its worth $2000 as scrap".........."Its not worth that much "..... "yeah ,it is !"

I would like to add that i have transportation costs covered by a friend who owns a flat bed tractor trailer , and a family member who has his own scrap yard who i anticipate getting the most dollar per pound of metal.
You anticipate a family member to not take advantage of you? You might want to put a hat on, you are getting to much sun. Family will brutalize you faster then anyone....

Back