What's new
What's new

Prince WLS800 hydraulic valve repair

JoeE.

Titanium
Got this valve from Surplus Center. I've had it on my log splitter for a couple of years.

Leaking out the valve's rear cap. There is a square cross sectioned wiper or seal or whatever that has given up the ghost. It's basically a wiper/seal for the spool shaft.

#20, on the drawing, is the number of the failed item. In the exploded view, they call it only an "O-ring", with no mfr's part number. I find no kits for this valve.... WLS800.
Pictures below. It's a yellowish/clear looking material... polyurethane? Not hard... relatively flexible.
I don't know exactly what terms to use in a search to find these.
The valve spool diameter where this seal fits is .812".
The seal o.d. is 1.062. I haven't measured the bore itself.
The width of the seal is approx .140"
When the spool is assembled and inserted into the valve bore, seal retainer #21 squeezes seal #20 into the bore, and spring cap #30 holds it all in place.

Need to find one of these seals.

Attachments

• 20231223_152232.jpg
    20231223_152232.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • 20231223_152245.jpg
    20231223_152245.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • 20231223_152256.jpg
    20231223_152256.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • man.PNG
    man.PNG
    284.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
If you were in Seattle I would send you instantly to Omni Packing and Seal. However, Seattle is not in Kansas. Perhaps they don't need to fix hydraulics in Kansas.

I ordered some off of "Zoro".... a hundred of them....
I'll change that seal out every year, just to use them all up, lol.

A regular O ring the right size will work fine, many valves that’s all they use
This. That quad ring fits a standard o-ring groove. If you want to stay with the quad ring you can find them all over the place on the innerwebs, or match that basic size o-ring and use that. I know this for sure because I retired from the engineering dept. at Prince although I worked with cylinders not valves.

never use NOS or makers original part in poly U ...the stuff has a life of around 25 years ,and crumbles away (probably depolymerizes ) ......even components in sealed blister packs are no good.

A regular O ring the right size will work fine, many valves that’s all they use

I did reassemble the valve with a regular 211 o-ring... leaked worse than before.....
I guess if the X-ring coming doesn't work, I'll have to figure out something else.

Well, I put it back together and it does not leak. X ring was the correct item to use.
But, now, the detent on retract is malfunctioning and won't hold the handle in while retracting.
I have to manually hold it in retract.
Previously when I was taking this thing apart the detent mechanism flew apart.
I put it back together wrong... learn from that lesson put it back together the correct way.. and that was with the regular o-ring.. after I've taken the spool back out and put the X-Ring in it.. now the detent isn't holding. It's always something.

A lot of those seals have the pn on the non sealing surfaces (the inner lips) where you would not expect find them.If you have to take it out again clean it and use a magnifier. The metric seals use the size as a pn like 20x25x3. If it is metric then Metric Seals inc In Indiana is a good bet. Imperial seals can be had just about anywhere and a lot of them have pn's hidden on the inner lips.
I agree with Jk the poly seals are the most popular but they don't last as long as the old rubber seals.

Back