What's new
What's new

Problems with TIG on Mild Steel

As an interesting addendum here, I just got done welding some 1/8" wall aluminum tubing. Hadn't busted out the TIG in months, and it had been sitting on a shelf with everything disconnected. Went ahead and hooked it all up - left the argon fittings loose so I could bleed them a little and kick any dust out (force of habit). Anyway, got everything set, ran the water lines, etc. and welded everything up just as dandy as you please. Got finished and started taking things apart and realized that one of the gas lines was not at all tight - as in left cracked open. The one from the front of the machine going into the torch. Didn't make any difference at all.

I briefly scrolled thru the responses, which are all valid points. Another thing to check is the polarity setting on your machine, or how the leads are plugged in? Some machines have internal switching going on when you set it to Tig. Others you have to manually swap your leads to DCEN and set the machine to Tig. When set to the wrong polarity you will get very similar results as in your video.
For example I hadn’t used my Esab Rogue in awhile and I had to Tig up some copper pipe in the field. I set the machine to Tig….but didn’t swap my leads polarity wise. I recognized my uh oh right away…after I confirmed my argon was on and the hoses purged lol. Just a thought.

I briefly scrolled thru the responses, which are all valid points. Another thing to check is the polarity setting on your machine, or how the leads are plugged in? Some machines have internal switching going on when you set it to Tig. Others you have to manually swap your leads to DCEN and set the machine to Tig. When set to the wrong polarity you will get very similar results as in your video.
For example I hadn’t used my Esab Rogue in awhile and I had to Tig up some copper pipe in the field. I set the machine to Tig….but didn’t swap my leads polarity wise. I recognized my uh oh right away…after I confirmed my argon was on and the hoses purged lol. Just a thought.

That was mentioned already. His machine switches automagically, and he confirmed that it was correct with a voltmeter check.

The "fizzy" appearance and erratic puddle formation could indicate issues with arc stability. Ensure that your tungsten electrode is correctly positioned and that the arc length is consistent. A 1/4 inch tungsten stickout might be slightly long; try reducing it slightly to improve arc control. And your gas flow rate seems appropriate, but double-check that there are no leaks in the gas line or connections. Inadequate shielding gas coverage can lead to oxidation and contamination of the weld area, resulting in spatter and soot formation.

Back