What's new
What's new

Questions about shipping parts to Malaysia via FedEx

Matt@RFR

Titanium
I have a new customer in Malaysia. They want us to use their FedEx account to ship parts to them, but I've never shipped overseas.

I asked the customer for tips or advice for this, but the language barrier is rough. Same with the unhelpful person I spoke to at FedEx.

I have a FedEx account and am trying to see if I can get a local rep come see me.

How do you find the correct Harmonized Tariff Schedule code?? The search engines are utterly useless.

Is there any paperwork needed on the outside of the box?

EDIT: We haven't made anything for them yet, but these are parts that we are the only approved shop for, so if they want them, we pretty much have to be the ones to make them. So I'm trying to figure out how to quote the extra labor shipping this stuff is going to incurr.

Last edited:
They should contact a brokerage agent on their end (SPECIFICALLY one that speaks english and deals with USA shipments regularly) , and tell you what info is needed for the shipment.
Forward all the docs to the broker before shipping so they can confirm its good, send it Fedex with a tracking number, and the rest on on the customer.

Assuming it fits in normal Fedex boxes, and isn't a whole pallet of parts, it should be pretty minimal fuss for you, as you're not the one importing anything.

Search here for the appropriate HS Tariff code: https://hts.usitc.gov/

On the outside of the box, stick on a re-closeable clear pouch (from Fedex) containing all your shipping documents, including the label and commercial invoice. If you create the label yourself on the Fedex website, it'll guide you through the commercial invoice part.

From the customer, ask if they have a preferred shipping broker that you can designate on the paperwork. If not, Fedex will assign one on their own when the package goes through customs.

You could also have the customer handle all shipping and simply schedule a pickup when the parts are ready, if they're willing. You'll need to provide box dimensions, weights, and the HS Tariff code.

I have a new customer in Malaysia. They want us to use their FedEx account to ship parts to them, but I've never shipped overseas.
How expensive ? For up to a thousand dollars-ish we just use the post office and the little green card where you say what's in the box and sign it. Easy. UPS is similar but costs more and takes longer.

We did have one experience with this that was .... interesting. CFO of a company with maybe 50 employees, worth a couple million dollars. He took a debit card, wrapped it in a piece of paper with the PIN number on it, put it in an envelope then stuck the green card on it listing "credit card".

I swear to god this is the truth. It was a US company, now gone. I wonder why.

The envelope made it, with the card inside. The only thing I can think is, that was so stupid that anyone seeing it had to figure it was a trap.

Do you have a fed ex office (kinkos) near? You can point to the box size you want, tell them the weight (add a little here), and show a similar part. They can tell you how much to pack and ship it, all paperwork included.
They know how to pack boxes and do not charge much.
Makes pricing easier on your end too.

If your anticipating a long term business relationship might be a good idea to work with a customs broker or at least consult a broker.
No experience with export but with import it was important to find the correct code regarding possible tariffs along with expediting movement thru customs.
Hopefully the U.S. is friendly trade-wise with Malaysia at this time.

My employer ships stuff to and from Malaysia using the usual US domestic carriers on the regular. We just googled up the codes. Every now and then something gets stuck sitting in customs for a couple days, but I don’t remember any unexpected drama.

I'm in KL right now. The level of English here is excellent. I would just ask to speak to someone else at the company you are dealing with.

Thanks for all the replies fellas. I can't believe I didn't think of this before I started this thread, but we used to deal with a fantastic freight broker years ago. He jumped through his ass to help us and I trust him. So I asked if they could handle these shipments, and I had a quote within 30 minutes. I provide the shipment info, and they send me anything I need to print. Easy peasy. They even schedule the pickup for me.

Do you have a fed ex office (kinkos) near? You can point to the box size you want, tell them the weight (add a little here), and show a similar part. They can tell you how much to pack and ship it, all paperwork included.
They know how to pack boxes and do not charge much.
Makes pricing easier on your end too.
Good idea if this were your average $1,000 shipment, but the boxes we'll be sending will be valued in the $15k to $40k range, will be made up of delicate parts, and arriving on time is crucial. So my propensity to hand this shipment off to my local high school dropout is low. :)

Sounds like you solved this one, but if it comes up again- DHL is great for overseas shipping. They are consistently the fastest, most reliable, and least expensive option for anything less than a pallet. They'll get a box to Europe faster than UPS of FedEx can deliver to the next state.

Hey LOTT. The freight broker said almost the exact same thing. DHL is their go-to for international parcels. I was told 5 days dock to dock. Extremely expensive though.

Quick reminder, you've thought out how to properly package all these fragile parts to make sure they are received intact ? Reason I bring this up is I've been accused of over packaging things more than once and for good reason : have been on the receiving end of poorly packaged items very often..

Last edited:
Yep! I've been told we pack stuff better than any sane person would. 😁

I've literally made employees drop very expensive outgoing boxes off our mezzanine. That will raise a few eyebrows.

Yep! I've been told we pack stuff better than any sane person would. 😁

I've literally made employees drop very expensive outgoing boxes off our mezzanine. That will raise a few eyebrows.
LOL no way, the acid test ! Recently told a customer that I package for the trip over and if ever the expensive tooling we make for them were to drop off the back of the truck their parts would survive without even a even a scratch ! Funny story same customer that complained about my over-packaging recently sent us a parcel that looked like it was packaged by a child and of course it broke apart on the way over, was delayed 2 days and repacked by Purolator to get here.

Last edited:
Here's a picture from Penang airport if you zoom in to the hanger across the runway you can see the big freight guys are all there.
IMG_20231223_153425_MP.jpg

Back