What's new
What's new

Renishaw OTS chipping tools

PegroProX440

Hot Rolled
Im struggling with the OTS tool setter on our new M560-V. Quite frequently it is chipping the bottom of carbide end mills when setting length. It is spinning backwards but I feel the rpm is a little fast. How do I adjust it and have you guys found a solution to this problem. My only other experience with a touch style probe was on a haas maybe 7 years ago and I did not have this issue.

How are you measuring tools specifically? I don't think the Okuma cycle will turn on the spindle at all unless you tell it to do so. Are you using a custom macro that your distributor setup?

I don't care for the Okuma tool measurement cycles - they don't give you a ton of control. I wrote a program that uses the Okuma cycle to come down on center and do a fast touch (spindle off), then calls up a Renishaw cycle for the fine measurement. This amalgamation allows us to touch everything off with the "good" Renishaw cycles without the need to premeasure each tool so you can input expected length.

I use the non-rotating, but my tools are small enough to fit entirely on the stylus. I do have the opposite problem however, that the tools will wear a divot in the stylus.

The only macros that I know about are Gosiger set up ones. My choice is on center non rotating or rotating off center.

my .5 .75 and 1 inches are chipping half the time. The stylus already has a wear mark that I can feel and I have only had the machine about three months.

The only macros that I know about are Gosiger set up ones. My choice is on center non rotating or rotating off center.

my .5 .75 and 1 inches are chipping half the time. The stylus already has a wear mark that I can feel and I have only had the machine about three months.
Are you using a Gosiger macro to touch off tools? Might just go into the .lib file and make the changes you want.

Assuming you know when to rotate tools during the probing cycle and when not to, perhaps dig into the macros and slow down the feed into the probe. You could also try to re-ramp and polish the edge break on the top edge of the probe if you feel like going further with it.

Echoing usolutions, a laser would be solution. Hands down IMO. Every Makino, Yasda and Mori I've programmed for have lasers. Haas machines, not so much. ;)

Switch to laser?
Then you have to make sure everything is immaculate when you go to check a tool.
Every chip, every drop of coolant, every bit of dirt dislodged by the air blast will mess with the laser.

The general consensus here seems to be that unless you have tools that NEED non-contact measurement, the contact setters are usually more reliable.

The general consensus here seems to be that unless you have tools that NEED non-contact measurement, the contact setters are usually more reliable.

I don’t completely agree with that.

Having used both extensively, I find the lasers to be much more reliable when in constant use.

However plunger style is much more accurate for stationary touch offs, and a lot cheaper to fix if it crashes somehow.

OP just needs to fix their touch off cycles. No need ti reinvent the wheel here.

My other machine has a laser, I feel the laser is more versatile at this point.

I did not spec out this machine, it was delivered and told there ya go.

I also feel like the setup and training from Gosiger on this install was less than stellar. Especially the probe setup.

I don't recall where, but I've seen someone out on the internet modify their probe routine to touch off at random points on the carbide to distribute the divots evenly.

Back