What's new
What's new

Rivett 1020s Spindle Handwheel

alcro1998

Cast Iron
Hi, I am looking to make a new spindle handwheel for my Rivett.

Mine had a south bend collet closer on it and the handwheel was removed to fit the closer.

I would like to remake the handwheel using forbidden additive manufacturing techniques. I was wondering if anyone could provide detailed pictures of it along with dimensions so I can best replicate it.

I would also like to see how it mounts. Not sure if it’s all plastic or if there’s some metal mixed in there somewhere. My parts manual didn’t seem to give me a good enough idea or maybe I missed something.

If anyone else needs one I would be happy to make an extra and send you it for the cost of shipping and a roll of filament. I am fairly good at forbidden additive manufacturing so it should come out near identical to the original.

Thanks!

Hi, I am looking to make a new spindle handwheel for my Rivett.

Mine had a south bend collet closer on it and the handwheel was removed to fit the closer.

I would like to remake the handwheel using forbidden additive manufacturing techniques. I was wondering if anyone could provide detailed pictures of it along with dimensions so I can best replicate it.

I would also like to see how it mounts. Not sure if it’s all plastic or if there’s some metal mixed in there somewhere. My parts manual didn’t seem to give me a good enough idea or maybe I missed something.

If anyone else needs one I would be happy to make an extra and send you it for the cost of shipping and a roll of filament. I am fairly good at forbidden additive manufacturing so it should come out near identical to the original.

Thanks!
My Rivett was missing a spindle handwheel and spindle end cover. I made both of these from scrap I had laying around. My handwheel has two dogs which engage the rear of the spindle. It is held in place with one dog point screw. It is all pretty close fit so there is no wobble and makes for easy removal. I’m not sure what Rivett originally had here as I said mine was missing. Here are some pictures of what I did.

IMG_0961.jpg IMG_0962.jpg IMG_0963.jpg IMG_0964.jpg IMG_0965.jpg IMG_0966.jpg

My Rivett was missing a spindle handwheel and spindle end cover. I made both of these from scrap I had laying around. My handwheel has two dogs which engage the rear of the spindle. It is held in place with one dog point screw. It is all pretty close fit so there is no wobble and makes for easy removal. I’m not sure what Rivett originally had here as I said mine was missing. Here are some pictures of what I did.
Awesome looks great! Any idea if the original was all metal or if it was plastic?

Based on pictures I have seen I always thought it was similar to the one on the hlv-h which is plastic.

My plan is to print one as a prototype and eventually get the correct material to make one properly.

Awesome looks great! Any idea if the original was all metal or if it was plastic?

Based on pictures I have seen I always thought it was similar to the one on the hlv-h which is plastic.

My plan is to print one as a prototype and eventually get the correct material to make one properly.
Seems like the original may have been partially plastic or phenolic. Not sure. I made mine out of steel and aluminum because it was what I had. As I said, I think the biggest thing is to get a good, snug fit and to run true because of the rpm the machine is capable of running.

I originally wanted the hand wheel as a way to hold the spindle when I tighten my Hardinge collet chuck, but with the addition of the hydraulic foot brake I’m adding, this isn’t really necessary. But I still kind of like having the handle. It’s an easy way to grab the spindle.

Step one of the wheel.

Made a test piece for the critical features of the part to make sure everything fits properly.

Very snug fit and was getting about 1-2 thou runout of the OD. Should be fine for 3500 rpm but will have to see runout of the finished wheel.

Did a similar drive dog setup as you did but added some extra support for the dogs on the outside.

One long print ahead and the hand wheel will be done. This will serve as a good template for a later aluminum or steel one. Most likely the finished metal one I’ll do in 2 parts.

Attachments

• AC4B4719-3531-4512-ABC8-B51F9097B308.jpeg
    AC4B4719-3531-4512-ABC8-B51F9097B308.jpeg
    344.5 KB · Views: 7
I can snap a photo of my original handwheel and take measurements for you when I'm next at my shop, likely within a week or so (if it can wait that long).

From memory (having removed and reinstalled that handwheel many times), there is a split key that engages with that keyway on the spindle shown in your photo. The key has an angled, tapped hole (#10? 1/4-20? can't remember) that allows a setscrew to spread the key in the keyway to lock the handwheel to the spindle. From memory the center of the handwheel is steel and the outer portion black plastic, likely phenolic. The steel portion is important because it has a series of radial keyways cut in to engage with the locking key on the lever collet closer.

If you haven't already you might check the Rivett parts diagrams in the various manuals floating around. I'd be shocked if a proper section view of the handle isn't depicted there.

Kindof related, I had to remachine the locking plunger handle and plunger for my 1030F's lever collet closer. It was abused by a prior owner so no longer slid smoothly forward and back. I tried to do something fancy by making a new aluminum collar and a spring-detented locking finger (a-la the hardinge HLVH collet closer), but it didn't work very well because the keyways on the original spindle handle are too short to stay engaged with the locking finger.

I can snap a photo of my original handwheel and take measurements for you when I'm next at my shop, likely within a week or so (if it can wait that long).

It can wait. I appreciate you taking the time to do it!

I did find the cross section in the parts manual but was not too sure what I was looking at.

I would like to recreate the original handwheel as close as I possibly can. The current one I am making will be close but I eye balled the dimensions based on pictures I could find online and the parts manual.

Thanks!

Well the wheel turned out surprisingly good. Was able to print it in one piece. Had a couple weird printing artifacts but should be resolved in the next print.

Seems like the OD needs to be a bit larger. Possibly also a bit closer to the spindle but I’ll be limited by Allen key width for the set screw. Threaded insert hasn’t been added yet since the hole is too small for it.

I added a little bump to the outside of the wheel which I’m not too sure if I like. Looked like maybe it was on some of the original wheels but hard to tell.

Will do the final one out of black filament but I have a ridiculous amount of this weird transparent black stuff.

Only roughly 5 thou runout of the OD. The fit is perfect. Easy enough to press on by hand but but once on dang near impossible to get off. Basically impossible to pull off by hand without breaking it. I don’t see any issues running this at 3500 rpm.

Attachments

• B5D3B0CD-26AF-4814-BDC9-237AA944E9AC.jpeg
    B5D3B0CD-26AF-4814-BDC9-237AA944E9AC.jpeg
    280.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 279D8318-F2B8-4763-9F36-F459DC8EB4FD.jpeg
    279D8318-F2B8-4763-9F36-F459DC8EB4FD.jpeg
    570.4 KB · Views: 10
  • CFA3C78F-1145-4406-9EC2-82C502907B0E.jpeg
    CFA3C78F-1145-4406-9EC2-82C502907B0E.jpeg
    638.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 31AD40DD-2B82-4CAB-BD3E-C19B6821CCA5.jpeg
    31AD40DD-2B82-4CAB-BD3E-C19B6821CCA5.jpeg
    406 KB · Views: 10
  • 6D0AF665-D952-41DA-806F-5B33BBB263B9.jpeg
    6D0AF665-D952-41DA-806F-5B33BBB263B9.jpeg
    362.4 KB · Views: 10
V2 of the wheel.

Pretty close to perfect. Threaded insert also was added. Works perfectly and feels better in the hand than V1. Kinda hard to take pictures of this weird filament.

I am so pleased with the results that I think I’m going to print the final version and keep it on the machine.

Might look rough now but the final one will be really nice and you won’t even be able to tell it was printed. These prototypes took about 13.5 hours to print and the final one will take about 30 hours.

Attachments

• E151728B-D674-4DAF-B9E3-255858CD2F53.jpeg
    E151728B-D674-4DAF-B9E3-255858CD2F53.jpeg
    409.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 95364FE8-A318-4737-AAE7-AB50C89F265F.jpeg
    95364FE8-A318-4737-AAE7-AB50C89F265F.jpeg
    287.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 87D9E048-CF44-480F-AF1E-10028CE59F9C.jpeg
    87D9E048-CF44-480F-AF1E-10028CE59F9C.jpeg
    456.3 KB · Views: 17

Back