What's new
What's new

sealing new sight gauge in compressor crankcase?

metalmagpie

Titanium
I am going through a Champion R30 air pump. I haven't found too many issues yet other than general wear. However, it is clear that the oil sight gauge (fill to this line) has been leaking for a long time. Not only was there oil below it, but the paint had been worn away by all the oil trickling over it. OK, it leaks. The sight gauge is round and the outer edge is pretty soft looking formed sheet metal. It's about 1.25" in diameter.

To get at the thing you have to do a 98% disassembly on the crankcase. I have done that, and knocked out the old one (it's a light drive fit). There is a machined hole in the front of the crankcase for the sight gauge. I cleaned up the periphery of the hole, which had some interesting dried-oil "wrinkles". It's not shiny but it's smooth again.

I have a new sight gauge to press in. However, I want to put some kind of sealant on it. Something I can smear around the sight gage and then tap it in. Something which will prevent leaks. I know there are an enormous number of products out there but I am hoping that one of you has been down this exact road and has a favored product they can recommend.

metalmagpie

Note that a compressor runs much hotter then a lathe. So you can find lots of recommendations about sealers for lathe sight glasses that are probably fine but ....
Bill D

Don't tap it it around the edge , will just bend and good chance of leak.
Put your sealer of choice around the outside and take a piece of smooth wood and using a deadblow hit it once and send it home.
obviously wood and gauge must be flat going in...have done hundreds like this.

Back