What's new
What's new

Solder

Lead can be dangerous. There are well documented cases. Children eating lead based paint chips for one. And lead dishes? Well, even if the lead turns to lead oxide and becomes safe, that dish gets washed I assume with some scrubbing. Then, when it is used, the hot food can react with the oxide and a knife and fork would easily break through a thin layer. So yes, lead dishes are a bad idea.

But it is not highly dangerous. I have used lead based solder since the 1950s and in over 45 of those years I used it in my profession. I have four very good doctors whom I see on a regular basis. One requires blood tests at every visit. None of them have ever mentioned a single word about lead poisoning.

Lead, if you ask me, is kind of like that belt cover on a machine. Yes, there have been injuries from belts when someone placed a hand or other limb among them while they were running. But many people will run a machine with the belt guard left open. The belts are not a major problem and we know it. So too, lead based solder is not a major problem. And at least some of us know it.

Reactions: Ox
Lead can be dangerous. There are well documented cases. Children eating lead based paint chips for one. And lead dishes? Well, even if the lead turns to lead oxide and becomes safe, that dish gets washed I assume with some scrubbing. Then, when it is used, the hot food can react with the oxide and a knife and fork would easily break through a thin layer. So yes, lead dishes are a bad idea.

But it is not highly dangerous. I have used lead based solder since the 1950s and in over 45 of those years I used it in my profession. I have four very good doctors whom I see on a regular basis. One requires blood tests at every visit. None of them have ever mentioned a single word about lead poisoning.

Lead, if you ask me, is kind of like that belt cover on a machine. Yes, there have been injuries from belts when someone placed a hand or other limb among them while they were running. But many people will run a machine with the belt guard left open. The belts are not a major problem and we know it. So too, lead based solder is not a major problem. And at least some of us know it.
For electronics I agree. The hazard comes from possible leaching from improperly disposed of devices. People tend to have no issue handling metallic lead directly without getting poisoned.

I do want to emphasize how much more vulnerable women and children seem to be (due to higher mineral uptake I presume, as lead behaves like calcium in the body) compared to adult males.

I refuse to use it anywhere there could be frequent contact, chemical exposure that could make it bioavailable, or in any circumstance where it could be ingest as dust, fragments, or solutes.

So lead-free (can be acid core) for any potable water application. I use a brush-on flux
Lead-based is way cheaper but IS banned for potable water apps.
Rosin-core, and never acid core, for electronics work.

Given to me by a retired Western Union telegraph (yes, that's right telegraph) repairman when I was a kid. Almost gone, but works great. He said it was the best. Don't ya love the packaging. Heck, I just did a quick Google, I thought this something special, and it looks to be common on ebay for sale just like this. Oh well.IMG_0150.jpeg

Last edited:
The major hazard from lead solder in electronics use is hand-to-mouth. Key here is wash your hands before eating or drinking after soldering. Lead oxide is also toxic. Lead does not oxidize rapidly the way aluminum does.

Back