What's new
What's new

Solidworks part templates not working right?

mmurray70

Stainless
Hey guys Im having an issue with solidworks. The default part files only use 2 decimal places so I edited the templates to use 3 decimals and saved. But it only works half the time.

If I hit "new" and just select part front the novice view (picture 1) it still uses 2 decimal places.

If I hit "New" and choose advanced, then choose part (picture 2) it works with the proper template with 3 decimal points. The proper template locations are linked under settings, file locations.

Any ideas? This is driving me nuts. I've lost hours and hours over the years changing the freaking units to 3 decimal places.

Attachments

• sw1.jpg
    sw1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 5
  • sw2.jpg
    sw2.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 5
Make sure you Save As .PRTDOT and it is directed at the correct directory. Check in your System Options > Default Templates

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 2
Hey guys Im having an issue with solidworks. The default part files only use 2 decimal places so I edited the templates to use 3 decimals and saved. But it only works half the time.

If I hit "new" and just select part front the novice view (picture 1) it still uses 2 decimal places.

If I hit "New" and choose advanced, then choose part (picture 2) it works with the proper template with 3 decimal points. The proper template locations are linked under settings, file locations.

Any ideas? This is driving me nuts. I've lost hours and hours over the years changing the freaking units to 3 decimal places.
That is odd. I was told by an instructor that novice view and advanced view used the same templates but perhaps it was bad info or something else is affecting it.

Make sure in System Options - Default Templates the radio button for "Always use these default document templates" is selected then restart SWX and test it again.

Think I got it figured out. I had a second look under settings and looks like there are 2 places you need to setup the templates. I only had of these set properly. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• sw3.jpg
    sw3.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 9

Back