What's new
What's new

Spindle lubrication problem (with Bijur pneumatic oil pump) - 2012 VM-2

highroadtoolco

Plastic
Hey folks, So I recently purchased a 2012 VM-2. While getting it set up I noticed that no drops were showing up in the sight glass while doing a spindle lubrication test. I believe the mac valves are functioning properly. If I disconnect the supply air line from the front/bottom of sight glass then the oil would drop as expected(with no back pressure to the pneumatic oil pump).

Steps to date:
disassembled everything to give it a good cleaning
replaced the metering valve at the discharge of the oil pump
replaced a leaky air fitting,
refilled with Mobil 5w-20.
bypassed the old air/lube line to spindle to rule out an obstructed line(no difference).
new o-ring below the hollow ball in pump

The pneumatic pump appears dirt simple and I don't see anything wrong with it. However still no oil getting through the sight glass. If I disconnect the air/lube line at the back of the spindle then everything seems to operate correctly. I get 3 drops every 15 minutes. So the backpressure from the spindle is enough to cut off the oil supply. When things are hooked up and running I can hear air escaping from the spindle so it's not completely plugged.

I'd also like to confirm that this lubrication system is supposed to be receiving full 85psi system pressure. My 2006 Mini-mill has a separate regulator to reduce air pressure to something like 17 psi if I recall correctly. As far as I can tell the only thing restricting air to the VM spindle is a small orifice fitting. Does that sound correct?

I had a brief phone consult with my HFO, they suggest installing a new bijur spindle lube system. Guess the only individual replacement part they will sell is the metering valve. Just thought I would check in to see if anyone has run into a similar problem or has any other suggestions before throwing a fairly expensive new part on it.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_6953.jpg
    IMG_6953.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6952.jpg
    IMG_6952.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6922.jpg
    IMG_6922.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 15
I've finally tracked down the problem and figured I'd share with the community. Perhaps it will save someone some time and cash.

The issue was a buildup of crud in the spindle behind the lube air fitting. It was a cream colored chalky material. I assume it has something to do with the Vactra lube that Haas is now warning against using. Seems strange that my machine is the first to encounter this problem but my local Haas service center (Productivity) didn't seem to have a clue about it. I spent about $1600 with them trying to diagnose which resulting in purchasing a bunch of new parts I didn't need. Since the system seemed to work properly with the lube/air line disconnected I finally decided to remove the tube fitting on the spindle to check for blockage and there it was. I whipped up a reducer for my shop vac to adapt some 1/4" ID tubing and sucked it out. Now it's working fine and I get the recommended 3 drops every lube cycle.

Btw, anyone else have issues with shipping and handling their HFO charges? Productivity charged over $50 to ship a 1 lb box via UPS ground. I'm now waiting for the shipping bill for the lube pump which was 7 lbs. I'm very hopeful I sell this machine before I'm forced to spend any more money with them. For my purposes their machines fit the bill but I'd like to return to using independent techs that know how to troubleshoot instead of simply throwing parts at it.
Oh and if anyone needs a new lube pump hit me up. Since I installed it myself it is not returnable.
Rant complete

Thank you for closing the loop on this. It's always good to hear the outcome, even if it was costly to get there.

I'd personally be tempted to hang on to the pump, if you have multiple machines that use it. Are you saying Bijur doesn't sell rebuild kits for the pumps anymore? I was under the impression that you could buy the filter and miscellaneous guts separately from Bijur.

As for HFO shipping charges, you're saying $50 from Littleton to Golden for one pound? Holy crap, is that like $2 a mile? Or did it come direct from Oxnard? In any case, that's steep. I started to say shipping has gotten stupid but, not $50/lb stupid.

I didn't do a thorough investigation into parts directly from Bijur. A brief search didn't turn up anything helpful on their website but I probably should have contacted them. My hfo originally told me that no repair/rebuild parts were available for this style pump but then later found out they do offer the metering unit and sight glass assemblies (but no pneumatic pump parts). And this style of pump doesn't have a filter like the mechanical units I've dealt with in the past. I suppose they figure the small quantity of lube it pumps will never pull sediment from the tank floor.

The shipping charges were from Minneapolis to Golden.

I assumed there was one design for the Bijur pumps on Haas. You're saying there's a pneumatic and a mechanical version? I had only seen the video about the cam driven mechanical one. I have honestly never even looked closely enough at mine to see what it is. I just assumed it was what I saw in the video.

Back