What's new
What's new

Torque ratings and repairability of x-axis power feeds

Chip Chester

Diamond
In surveying the various power feeds, from various vendors, it seems we're in a torque war with no common ground for comparison. Many e-bay offerings show torque values of 450 in/lbs (peak) and up, while other resources show 140 and 150 in/lbs devices recommended for the same machine. It's like hi-fi amplifier ratings in the mid 70s.

The important detail is peak, of course. In an electric motor, I believe this is the max number right before stall (or drivetrain destruction.)

I'll be searching more tomorrow, but has anyone run across a chart comparing the two, or stumbled across catalog listings where both are listed?

Next quick question regards repairability. I know the top-of-the-heap devices have available repair parts, but I'm hesitant to pay more for the feed than I did for the mill. Are the plastic gear devices durable enough for use on a Toolmaster, or should I stay with metal if available? And what brands have folks found to be mostly repairable?

It's fine with me to name names of both the good and the bad. But know that Servo is probably not in the budget.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Chip

Back