What's new
What's new

Vise options for 6" round parts

70olds

Aluminum
What are you all using to hold stuff in the ballpark of 6" rounds in a vise? I have been using a set of no name jaws that have two round versa-grip looking inserts that you can angle to position on the stock that were working Ok until they weren't. I had a part loaded up yesterday, ran through the entire part and needed to finish a couple operations this morning. The second my 1/4 endmill touched it today the jaw inserts blew up. I was taking a .001" skim pass to open up a pocket. I only have a small area to grab onto so I don't want to use a chuck if I can avoid it since it won't "bite" for me. Just wondering if there are any better options for something I can put in an orange, kurt, or lang vise. Soft jaws give me the same concern for holding the small area. Thanks.

Are you holding on to raw stock? Or holding on to an area that is finished by the lathe?
If it's raw stock, buy longer material and dovetail the part, and make a set of dovetail jaws. The part won't move if a tank hits it.

Used to run a cast part that had both lathe and mill ops. Cut a 3 sided dovetail on the casting as a prep op then used that for lathe and mill workholding.

Are you holding on to raw stock? Or holding on to an area that is finished by the lathe?
If it's raw stock, buy longer material and dovetail the part, and make a set of dovetail jaws. The part won't move if a tank hits it.
I'm holding onto raw stock, no lathe OP. I am holding apiece that is 5.2" DIA by 3" long and then facing, interpolating the OD to 5" and milling a couple smaller features that I can't get to later as well as putting in a lang 52mm pattern so I can use that to do my other operations. This operation basically is my operation for adding a work-holding feature in this case, so I am trying to avoid adding more operations. Ironically what I am making actually is a dovetail fixture.

Just seeing what was out there for raw stock workholding without cutting into the part, I should have specified that.

Back