What's new
What's new

Would lengthy blackouts create new manufacturing opportunities?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone needs to say that Trump was mean to a puppy, and then half the animal crowd will hate him... and say he would not eat asparagus to get half the Veggi group and say his kindergarten teacher caught him picking his nose to get half the prim and proper group to hate him. No, you don't have to prove this stuff just say it a number of times on TV or on the internet. As EG said ..a lot of people in the USA and about the world are really stupid.

Wow, I could get paid to work as a political advisor.

Darn, I said I wasn't going to post anymore on the dumb off-topic thread.
*Except that we have a government wanting to stop Oil, Gas and Coal use in the USA.

Last edited:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Mod Note~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warning #2 too keep the posts on topic. Jan 6th has nothing to do with manufacturing, machining, or blackouts.

From the rules sticky "OT posts should be for asking advice or presently advice on a non machining related subject, but, ideally, of a technical nature."

I'm going to start deleteing posts that are completely unrelated to manufacturing, machining, or blackouts. You've been warned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It just seems very odd that member citizenf16 got banned and lo and behold we get latheman78 almost on the same day and we haven't heard from citizenf16 since. Of course you are from California and f16 was from Illinois and I'm from Timbuctu.

Now citizenf16 was a very prolific poster just like you. He also was a very big trumper. (trumper: a person who idolizes trump and may even be in the trump cult)

Please let me know if you need any other info.
B you need to stop with this paranoid stuff about this obsession of yours. He does not post like F16. Now if you believe that There are bonafide personas which are merely one person then you could claim they are bonafide multiple personality disorder persons which I suppose would be extremely rare.

You have spent too much time on this trope. Why don’t you give it a rest.
I see zero. advantage to power outages in manufacturing because the blackouts would have to be pretty sustained and for some period of time to cause a competitive shift. Too much money would be lost.

If one thinks that because of the green changes which are happening that there will NOT be any fossil fuel brought on line and quick to stop the halt in manufacturing then I think believing it would be tolerated is naive.
No amount of inexpensive boondocking would solve the outages.

“Sometimes referred to as “dry camping,” boondocking is any time you camp in your RV without water, sewer, or electrical connections. That can take the form of parking your rig deep in the backcountry or pulling over at a highway rest stop.”

In my opinion to think there will be opportunities Is rather a stretch yet even during wars there is opportunity for someone even if such a person be a smuggler. That is not manufacturing though necessarily.

Nah. Russia can't afford to and China is not going to play that game. It'll be more like Rome imploding because the 'empire backed up by force' model is not long-term viable.

On-topic, I guess a long-term blackout will help machining if you have a wood-fired steam engine and lineshaft shop. Otherwise, I can't see how a lack of electricity can help manufacturing ....
I worked in a manual shop which was rigged up a long time with shafts and pullers which ran the machines. The man who was a mentor there had the job of climbing up in the rafters and oiling everything by hand on a daily basis. When I got there it was all running off electric. There were machines which had to be converted to run off electric when they made the change. It was the case that electric was more competitive.

That in itself whether someone even has energy or not then from a perspective of one area having enough and another having enough could mean opportunities. They obviously saw a advantage to changing yet they never really suffered blackouts. It provides interesting possibilities. I hope the grid adjusts well to shortfalls. I think it will because it must. Even if electricity goes through the roof. I believe this I’d already happening.

Warning #2 too keep the posts on topic. Jan 6th has nothing to do with manufacturing, machining, or blackouts.

From the rules sticky "OT posts should be for asking advice or presently advice on a non machining related subject, but, ideally, of a technical nature."

I'm going to start deleteing posts that are completely unrelated to manufacturing, machining, or blackouts. You've been warned.

You're the boss.

Now does anyone know what size drill bit to use for tapping a 1/4-20 hole? Is it a #7 or a 13/64?

What I got out of your link was that the solar array would be supplying electricity to the grid, not just the steel mill. I'd imagine that they would all be integrated so that the steel mill would have uninterrupted power when it's cloudy or at night. Here's the quote: "Lightsource BP is financing and building the $285 million solar array project and will sell the electricity generated to Xcel, Colorado’s largest utility, under a 20-year purchasing agreement. Evraz is Xcel’s largest retail customer in Colorado, and the solar farm will help the utility meet its goal of providing 55% renewable energy by 2026 and delivering 100% carbon-free electricity by 2050. "

It also says that the solar would have the equivalent impact equal to taking 92,100 fuel burning cars off of the roads and that doesn't seem like a bad thing to me.
It is not a bad thing B. It is extremely costly and problematic especially if the solar panels are not used in conjunction with battery storage. No one really discusses the cost of a stalwart solar panel instillation and roi of using and even not using battery backup.
It is clear that for such a investment that most everyone is content to pressure citizens to foot the bill as much as possible while being forced in that direction. The topic of this thread and the possibilities of blackouts is a valid manufacturing concern and a real one if one gets honest about all the changes which will take place.

Before the high cost of solar it seems if the blackouts would be somewhat temporary shops might have a fossil fuel backup to get through yet it must be affordable to the shop. For many shops they are completely dependent of the grid as it is.

Well,oddly enough ,we had a long period of blackouts here in the mid 80s.......it was a mexican standoff between Jelky and the the ETU......the linesmens .union.....for 12 months at least you could sell anything that looked like a genset,was a busy time repowering any kind of big genset with a wrecked motor ...Unfortunately ,the Union caved in , jelky fired all the union members and gave linesmans jobs to anyone who wanted one......The union turned on the union boss who had promised victory,but his Labour buddies found him a job as mayor of a Union mining town .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:popcorn:

California is set to add $60 a month to the elecric bill of every house with a grid tied solar system. I do not beleive it is tied to the KW of the system. It will just be a flat rate. This is so solar homes pay a fair share of grid costs.
Bill D

California is set to add $60 a month to the elecric bill of every house with a grid tied solar system. I do not beleive it is tied to the KW of the system. It will just be a flat rate. This is so solar homes pay a fair share of grid costs.
Bill D
That should use up the anti inflation checks they are about to send out I would imagine.

Last edited:
I have heard that some are suggesting charging people who use wood home heating.
politicians and do-gooders who are angry that someone might get free heat from his/her/ woodlot.

Likely we should add a walking tax, so people who stay off car recharging still help pay for the grid...and people who sit in their backyard using no energy..they should also be charged/fined for not using

Last edited:
So if you're 100% off grid - you don't need the grid at all, you still have to pay for it?
That's some state funded cronyism!
Gov setting prices not allowing any free market....?
Same as Spain though.....
No, just grid tied, if you are independent you don't get a bill period, they will get you on something else

I have heard that some are suggesting charging people who use wood home heating.
politicians and do-gooders who are angry that someone might get free heat from his/her/ woodlot.

Likely we should add a walking tax, so people who stay off car recharging still help pay for the grid...and people who sit in their backyard using no energy..they should also be charged/fined for not using
But only tax the ones that have worked all their lives and the ones still doing it, send another check to those who won't go get a job.

The money spent on subsiding the solar and wind grid is for making the air purer and ozone-free to reduce global warming.
So anyone breathing that air should pay.
Except they likely put more shit in the air in china making them than they will offset in there life and then their is the boat that brings them, I don't think it has a catalytic converter or pisswater injection to make it run clean but woohoo, solar is zero emission at the point of use.

California does not own or operate the electric system. Except for LA, which generates its own electric, this is all PG&E.

So if there will be a fee added, it's because PG&E, a private company, applied for it and convinced the bought-and-paid-for regulators to grant it.

Ja, it's pretty clever. First we spend twelve years poking the bear, then when he finally goes on a rampage we get all sanctimonious and promise to "protect" the people in his neighborhood. At great cost to the citizens of the US but I guess most of Congress is on the take? Or are they just stupid? And the press, what's in it for them? At least during Vietnam there was some resistance to this shit.

Actually, it's not that clever. Pretty transparent, in fact. We're just really really stupid.

100% spot on.
Now does anyone know what size drill bit to use for tapping a 1/4-20 hole? Is it a #7 or a 13/64?
#7 for a cutting tap, form tap will be different.

B, do you have an inverter genset in your camper? Iirc, most came with the standard onan units. I never understood why they didn't use inverter technology, much more efficient.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back