What's new
What's new

14 haas vf2 2040 & 123 alarms

Hrodri87

Plastic
I’m having an issue with my 2014 vf2 has never giving any issues until I removed the machine. I’m currently running it on a phoenix 40hp 3 phase converter. First month had an issue with the board and had to have the board repaird. Ran fine for another month or two now I’m a 2040 vector drive or spindle amplifier short circuit & 123 spindle drive fault ? Sometimes I turn it off and it runs fine all day then other times I can’t get pass the warm up cycle, seems to be when the spindle ramps up to the next spindle speed cycle or when it winds down ? I noticed the fan that blows my vector drive is now working so I put a circular fan to blow at it to keep it cool to try to get these jobs done while searching for solutions but same issue one day it will work fine others I can’t get anything done. Any suggestions from other machine owners that have came across this issue before?

123 is the common vector drive failure message. It tosses that error any time its tummy hurts and usually comes with another error. So the 2040 error is the one to focus on here. Haas says that one indicates a short was detected. There could be a number of causes that you may or may not be able to troubleshoot. Unfortunately, they will be hard to diagnose until it has fail-failed.

Things individually replaceable inside that might be the cause: the big power capacitors, the bridge rectifier or IGBTs.

How comfortable are you with diagnosing and replacing electrical components? How long can you afford the machine to be down? If it needs to be up and running, it might be time to start figuring out a replacement for the vector drive.

I repair vector drives and this sounds similar to one i repaired. It would fail when ramping down. It sounds like the issue is in the vector drive's control board and it can be a pain to track down. How ever the problem could easily be in the DC Bus. If you decide to track it down your self be careful soldering to the board they will crack fairly easy under high heat.

123 is the common vector drive failure message. It tosses that error any time its tummy hurts and usually comes with another error. So the 2040 error is the one to focus on here. Haas says that one indicates a short was detected. There could be a number of causes that you may or may not be able to troubleshoot. Unfortunately, they will be hard to diagnose until it has fail-failed.

Things individually replaceable inside that might be the cause: the big power capacitors, the bridge rectifier or IGBTs.

How comfortable are you with diagnosing and replacing electrical components? How long can you afford the machine to be down? If it needs to be up and running, it might be time to start figuring out a replacement for the vector drive.
Yes I did some research yesterday and everything was leading in that direction of repairing the vector drive.with my luck I tried another power off restart and it let me run all day yesterday for about 12-14 hours with no alarms, now today I go turn it on same situation spindle warm up when it ramps to 2nd spindle speed alarm goes off, tried restarting several times with no luck today. at this point I will half to look into removing the part and sending it off to get repaired I just hope that will solve my issue on the first try 🤦‍♂️ and currently looking for other issues with the 2040 alarm and why they both come on the same time

I repair vector drives and this sounds similar to one i repaired. It would fail when ramping down. It sounds like the issue is in the vector drive's control board and it can be a pain to track down. How ever the problem could easily be in the DC Bus. If you decide to track it down your self be careful soldering to the board they will crack fairly easy under high heat.
I definitely am not capable or repairing any board issues. I will have no other choice but to send it to someone to fix it for me.

Sounds like something may have come loose during moving to me. Look for something that is barely making contact on the board.

I happened to pop in after a time away- But I do have a pretty detailed post on doing some basic R&R on Vector drives. The IGBTs for the Spindle. The 3 phase Rectifer, and the Braking Resistor IGBT. Plus the inside large Capacitors. Cheap caps often go dry and ESR testing fails. I did this part for years on a high-heat supply type. 15+ a week for years. New Caps New Caps and what ever blew up. Anyway - For a few hundo' you can source all those larger parts. And then replace them. I did mine. Got all the parts via ebay and digikey , Amazon. Just a thought. On the top control board- There are some posts around w/ some common fail componants. In my 98 version, I recall digging into it. Folks noted a very fussy comparitor IC. IT's job is to monitor the internal Reference DC HV and then compare that to the output coming from the Vector DC buss. If is was X out of range... IT's throws an alarm. It's been a few years now. But I think that was part of the undervoltage/over-voltage alarms. IF you use the Search here in PM/Haas forum right, there is a ton of good repair info IMO. let us know how it goes.

Back