What's new
What's new

OT, Youboob idiots laugh

Houdini

Titanium
Saw a guy on Youboob comment that you don't need to be a machinist to be a CAM programmer.
Other guy said, that's like saying you never went to medical school, but your a brain surgeon.:nutter::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Certainly possible. I'll let the guy work on somebody else's machines though. It's getting ever closer to being that way, however, with the CAM software. Of course, a program from someone who actually knows what they're doing is going to run circles around one from someone who doesn't.

Saw a guy on Youboob comment that you don't need to be a machinist to be a CAM programmer.

I agree that it shouldn't be this way but it is not uncommon for high volume production shops to have programmers who never touched a machine in their life.

I agree that it shouldn't be this way but it is not uncommon for high volume production shops to have programmers who never touched a machine in their life.
Yeah, crazy!
Gotts be the dumbest fuk'n thing I've ever heard.
How can you have the job of programming the automation of a machine, if you don't know how to use the machine.
just goes to show the knowledge running these businesses.
Certainly possible. I'll let the guy work on somebody else's machines though.
yup
It's getting ever closer to being that way, however, with the CAM software. Of course, a program from someone who actually knows what they're doing is going to run circles around one from someone who doesn't.
100%, Its just mind blowing the ignorance of the process.

I guess 2 cents from some of us that have been through all of it huh :cheers:

Hi Houdini:
Increasingly what I'm seeing, is that business of all kinds has become a finance and logistics game in which the fantasy exists that all parts are (and MUST be) replaceable including the skilled guys or the brain trust or anything else, except the founder(s) and the investors.
Industry has worked long and hard to turn that fantasy into a reality...the bullshit of AI is the latest manifestation.

Everything devolves into a supremely brittle enterprise in which everything works at maximum efficiency...until it doesn't...at which point it becomes a shitshow because all the expertise has been sidelined, and critical thinking skills are no longer encouraged...the automation is supposed to do all that.
Pull one plug and it all fails...often spectacularly.

In a mentality like that, bashing up a machine is just a cost of doing business, mindless screaming is an accepted substitute for problem solving, and the focus devolves from objectives you and I might recognize as being reasonable, to something almost incomprehensible in which the only goal is to make yourself a celebrity while fucking over everyone around you.
Just look at the US congress as a poster child for this trend...by any reasonable measure they collectively couldn't lead a two year old to the crapper, but this is the trend, and our Canadian government is no better.

So with that as the backdrop, I'm not a bit surprised that there's no logic you or I could recognize in the oh-so seductive idea that a programmer need not know anything about machining...it's a logical fallacy that has predicate examples everywhere, and they all manage to struggle along somehow, so all is good as far as the decision makers is concerned.
A carelessly broken machine is trivial to that mindset...the minions will fix it if we just scream at them and make mindlessly unreasonable demands.

It's going to take a big economic crash for those geniuses to come to their senses.

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com

It's going to take a big economic crash for those geniuses to come to their senses.

But they won't.

Lots of higherups have money tucked away for the rainy day when they need to close the business while taking their bonuses. They'll move on to the next industry once the storm blows over.

For smaller places that run the same way but no nest egg to fall back on (ie, failure wasn't the plan), they'll point fingers that "everyone else was the problem, not me"

As for the OP, there's plenty of people out there generating code with little to no experience actually running it that I'd trust more, than some of the operators and self-titled "machinists" that couldn't drill a hole in a piece of stainless without lots of hand holding and burned up tooling and scrapped material.

If those people generate code that blows up in the machine (improper toolpaths, speeds feeds, whatever) and get handed the program back with feedback on how to improve it, I would imagine those people would get the hang of things somewhat quickly. AS LONG AS THEY GET FEEDBACK.

There's a similar issue with young engineers and prints they develop. Sure, in the theoretical cad world, a true position and size of .0005 on that thru hole for a 1/4-20 bolt is easy to draw, but it would be super helpful for said engineer to get slapped and told to open up the tolerances by someone else (like a supervisor or someone who is supposed to machine or assemble it). If you get feedback on what is good and what is shit, you're bound to generate less shit.

Back