What's new
What's new

19.5' swing?? monarch steady rest id

billymx48

Plastic
I have a steady that measures out to be for a 19.5" swing lathe. It appears to be a monarch steady any ideas? I searched for number only found a number that was cast into the base. 5-192 attached are pictures. I measured it to be 9" point of way to center of flat of other way. Then 9 3/4" from flat to split in the rest (marked in picture where i measured) anyone know of a lathe it will fit??

Attachments

• steady 1.jpg
    steady 1.jpg
    728 KB · Views: 6
  • steady 2.jpg
    steady 2.jpg
    734.9 KB · Views: 5
  • steady 2_LI (2).jpg
    steady 2_LI (2).jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • steady 2_LI.jpg
    steady 2_LI.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
5-192 would very old part number. Monarch steady rests were made for each side of bed widths, which changed for the series of lathe (K, E, A, B, D from smallest to largest swings of cone heads), and the same for helical gear head lathes series. This gets tricky with the numbered series as they had different beds for the different models and some models had different width beds depending on the series. Measuring the bed width and comparing the width of the rest is the best way to determine if the rest would fit a particular lathe.

5-192 would very old part number. Monarch steady rests were made for each side of bed widths, which changed for the series of lathe (K, E, A, B, D from smallest to largest swings of cone heads), and the same for helical gear head lathes series. This gets tricky with the numbered series as they had different beds for the different models and some models had different width beds depending on the series. Measuring the bed width and comparing the width of the rest is the best way to determine if the rest would fit a particular lathe.
I was finding that information out slowly through the vintage machinery website going through all the data I could between lathe manuals etc. Thank you for easily breaking it down for me. I knew someone on here would know that kind of stuff.

Back